Recommended service meter/equipment height post Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

subman

Did a job in a town that was hit hard by Sandy ( Union Beach, NJ) Anyone know what is the recommended meter/service equipment height after Sandy? Recently had a job fail because the inspector said it was too low. Bottom of meter is 5ft off ground, he said it should be 5ft 11 inches.

GPU ( local power company) says 5ft-middle of meter is recommended. Help is appreciated.

iwire

Staff member
Did a job in a town that was hit hard by Sandy ( Union Beach, NJ) Anyone know what is the recommended meter/service equipment height after Sandy? Recently had a job fail because the inspector said it was too low. Bottom of meter is 5ft off ground, he said it should be 5ft 11 inches.

GPU ( local power company) says 5ft-middle of meter is recommended. Help is appreciated.

GPU is only concerned with ease of reading the meter not the flood plain.

Call the building department, or look at other homes in the same neighborhood with new services.

I know that in some areas they are requiring extra height.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
GPU is only concerned with ease of reading the meter not the flood plain.

Call the building department, or look at other homes in the same neighborhood with new services.

I know that in some areas they are requiring extra height.

+1

The issue is not height above the ground, but rather height above the datum plane which can vary with the location of the building

coffeebean

I have to do a service for a modular home in Margate NJ, Atlantic City Electric called today (after my initial inquiry 5 weeks ago)the meter height to the center of the glass I was told has to be 6'6".
They told me that there will have to be a platform so the meter reader can read it.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have to do a service for a modular home in Margate NJ, Atlantic City Electric called today (after my initial inquiry 5 weeks ago)the meter height to the center of the glass I was told has to be 6'6".
They told me that there will have to be a platform so the meter reader can read it.
And I bet the platform will have to be OSHA approved.

Before PG&E installed a smart meter for my grid-tied system, the reader just stood at the property fence and used binoculars instead of walking all the way through the driveway gate and and around the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.