Receptacle Surface mounted to desk (commercial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

necnotevenclose

Working on a commercial office building that has a row of about 6 desks. The idea in the office is to surface mount a receptacle on each desk (not manufacture furniture) and route back to nearest wall with MC that is surface mounted to the desks.

I haven't seen this approach before. Typically I've seen manufacture furniture or show floor mounted outlets.

Will NEC allow this installation?

CONDUIT

I think if you could bolt down the desks to the floor or a wall that would make them part of the structure and that would make it okay. Making sure the MC is protected from physical damage could be a hang up.

Why not drop in a power pole by each desk or in between two desk?

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Working on a commercial office building that has a row of about 6 desks. The idea in the office is to surface mount a receptacle on each desk (not manufacture furniture) and route back to nearest wall with MC that is surface mounted to the desks.

I haven't seen this approach before. Typically I've seen manufacture furniture or show floor mounted outlets.

Will NEC allow this installation?
I can't think of any NEC Articles that would prohibit it (although, admittedly, I'm no Code guru).

My advice is to check with the Inspector beforehand. I know some jurisdictions won't allow you to mount any lights, receptacles, etc. on furniture unless the furniture is listed for it. This seems a bit extreme to me, but what do I know?

Our AHJ would allow your installation (provided the MC is protected from physical damage) if the desk is securely fastened in place (e.g. bolted down). If the desk is movable, they require it to be connected via cord-and-plug -- not a problem if you're putting in a light of some kind, since there are plenty of cord-and-plug options for lights, but it might be difficult to find a UL listed cord-and-plug connected receptacle box. Not saying they don't exist, I've just never seen one (unless you count power strips, which I've seen a lot of).

Nobody's every been able to point out to me in the Code where it says all this, although it does make sense -- you don't want your electrical wiring to be the only thing fastening the desk in place. I think it's a local rule, and probably an unwritten one.

Ravenvalor

I posed a question similar to this one to our inspector recently. In my case the item in question was not a desk but a sound booth. He told me that I could mount a receptacle in a sound booth and build a cord and plug that will go into the receptacle box. From there is can be plugged into a wall outlet. He did not say anything about it being a listed unit.

I do know that MC cable will not meet code.

JoeStillman

An architect once wanted to do this on a project I worked on, buit with extension cords and plug strips. He thought this was an idea whose time had come; he wanted me to publish a paper about this as an innovative new wiring method. I couldn't find anything in the code that says you can't do it. I told him I wouldn't write the paper anyway.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
An architect once wanted to do this on a project I worked on, buit with extension cords and plug strips. He thought this was an idea whose time had come; he wanted me to publish a paper about this as an innovative new wiring method. I couldn't find anything in the code that says you can't do it. I told him I wouldn't write the paper anyway.
I would argue that 400.8(1) prohibits it:
400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
Not to mention that it's just not very professional (so good for you for not writing that paper). Of course, I'm not really one to talk, since I've got a few extension cords around my house that have been plugged in for months or years...

hbendillo

Just how far are these desks from a nearest wall? I am just trying to picture how the MC cable will be run and supported. And as someone else said, I don't think this is NEC approved if the desk is moveable. Portable equipment needs portable wiring i.e. plugs and cords to my way of thinking. Is this for an open office area?

Ohms law

If you don't care about looks you could drop SO type cord with kellem/cord grips from ceiling into a single or double gang bell box with stainless steel plate to make it look nice. You would also need a cord grip into bell box as well.

kwired

Electron manager
If you don't care about looks you could drop SO type cord with kellem/cord grips from ceiling into a single or double gang bell box with stainless steel plate to make it look nice. You would also need a cord grip into bell box as well.
Standard aluminum bell box isn't acceptable, needs to be a rated pendant box. I think malleable iron type FS box is acceptable, but need to double check on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.