Mini-split systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

When connecting for a mini-split system ( a heat pump system, where one unit is outside & another is typically on the wall inside) most of the time, I connect the outside unit & the a/c guy runs his power/control wire (consisting of a 14/3 w/g cable) to the inside unit, what if any type of disconnecting means could be installed inside ? Thanks.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Locally, most of the E/Cs use a two pole standard wall switch,
It's a whole another for discussion, but you might check the type cable run between the units.
TC, NM, and SO are common, each bringing into play a whole list of possible violations.

Hendrix

When connecting for a mini-split system ( a heat pump system, where one unit is outside & another is typically on the wall inside) most of the time, I connect the outside unit & the a/c guy runs his power/control wire (consisting of a 14/3 w/g cable) to the inside unit, what if any type of disconnecting means could be installed inside ? Thanks.
Is this resi?

Hendrix

Some will say that if you can loc-out the disco on the outside, then you dont need a
switch on the inside. That leaves the whole "in sight" issue up for discussion.:?

__dan

Banned
In case it has not been mentioned, an inside disconnect for the inside fan must also open the compressor control circuit and disable it. If the compressor runs with the DX coil fan off, liquid refrigerant could pass through the DX coil and end up at the suction side of the compressor, where it could break the compressor when it tries to compress liquid.

Verify this with the manufacturer.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I can't find a code citation to support that method. Although I see some inspectors allow it.

Some locations do allow it, there is no code article to support it.

Depending on the brand of mini split some are wired with catagory 3 and are required to have a three pole HP rated togle switch to break S1,S2, and S3 for both line and control voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.