Receptacle inside a refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
We have a client requesting a receptacle inside a "step-in" refrigerator (it's a pre-fab unit that's big enough to step into, not a room-sized "walk-in"). We are concerned about voiding the warranty if we have an electrician start screwing device boxes and conduit supports into the inside walls of the refrigerator. We also have an Electrical Inspector who is really good at pulling out obscure Code sections to "prove" an installation is non-compliant.

I say "prove" in quotation marks because his "proof" is often tenuous at best, but the appeals process takes so long that everybody just gives him what he asks for so they can get their CO. So, I'm trying to prepare in advance.

Does anybody know of a Code section that even might prohibit or limit installing a GFCI protected receptacle inside a refrigerator?

Also, have any of you ever installed a receptacle inside a pre-fab refrigerator? How did you secure the box and conduit?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
We have a client requesting a receptacle inside a "step-in" refrigerator (it's a pre-fab unit that's big enough to step into, not a room-sized "walk-in"). We are concerned about voiding the warranty if we have an electrician start screwing device boxes and conduit supports into the inside walls of the refrigerator. We also have an Electrical Inspector who is really good at pulling out obscure Code sections to "prove" an installation is non-compliant.

I say "prove" in quotation marks because his "proof" is often tenuous at best, but the appeals process takes so long that everybody just gives him what he asks for so they can get their CO. So, I'm trying to prepare in advance.

Does anybody know of a Code section that even might prohibit or limit installing a GFCI protected receptacle inside a refrigerator?

Also, have any of you ever installed a receptacle inside a pre-fab refrigerator? How did you secure the box and conduit?

Several of our members have discussed in other threads the importance of proper air, moisture, and thermal barriers in the conduit used to supply the box inside the refrigerated space. If you do not do this, you will end up with condensation inside the conduit and resulting damage to conduit or wiring. Or a box that drips onto the floor.

The inspector may insist on wiring methods appropriate for damp or even wet areas, although that is probably not strictly necessary if you take proper steps to limit condensation.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thanks, GoldDigger, those are good points. We are still trying to convince the client to have the manufacturer add the receptacle since it's a custom-built unit, but for some reason they are resistant to that idea.

If we have to specify this receptacle and have our Electrician install it, we will spec a weather-resistant GFCI receptacle with a weatherproof box and an in-use cover. Conduit will be liquid-tight (LFMC or maybe GRC), and will have to be sealed inside and out.

Am I missing anything else?

Any ideas on how to secure the box and conduit? (Preferably without voiding the warranty...:angel:)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Any ideas on how to secure the box and conduit? (Preferably without voiding the warranty...:angel:)

In terms of code compliance, no. But mechanically, putting in a wedge-type mounting bar similar to those used for old-work chandelier or ceiling fan outlets could give you solid support without penetrations of the inner shell. Or attaching an additional bracket using the fittings provided for supporting shelves?
The other question is how to get the conduit in without making holes. :happysad:

The manufacturer may have some suggestions for you.

growler

We are still trying to convince the client to have the manufacturer add the receptacle since it's a custom-built unit.

Have a talk with the manufacturer and tell them you don't do any penetrations of manufactured equipment for fear of voiding the warranty.

It wouldn't bother me to install the receptacle but I would try to get the manufacturer to install the conduit and the box.

It souldn't be that difficult for them to weld some brackets inside the unit for support.

Just a thought.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Have a talk with the manufacturer and tell them you don't do any penetrations of manufactured equipment for fear of voiding the warranty.

It wouldn't bother me to install the receptacle but I would try to get the manufacturer to install the conduit and the box.

It souldn't be that difficult for them to weld some brackets inside the unit for support.

Just a thought.
Thanks, Growler. We finally got to talk with the client late yesterday afternoon, and explained that if we have the EC field install the conduit and box, it could void the warranty and might even affect the UL listing (local inspector is VERY picky about making sure there have been no modifications to listed equipment). He's backed off for now, but it remains to be seen if he will have the manufacturer add the conduit and box, or if his equipment will be moved outside of the refrigerator. Either way, I'll be okay.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.