Tapping conductors within a dry type pad mount transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillCo

My situation is this. We are mounting Manual Transfer Switches for a chain of Banks. In this case, the meter base is mounted to the side of the transformer and the secondary conduit goes underground directly to the MDP. Typically we intercept the conduit somewhere in between but in this case that is not possible. I am stubbing my conduits from the transformer (run underground) to the MTS so that the secondary transformer tap will go to the MTS and the load side of the MTS goes back to the transformer enclosure and continues through the existing conduit to the MDP. My question is am I allowed to use Polaris type lugs to tap my new load side conductors (MTS to Transformer) to the existing conductors (Transformer to MDP) within the enclosure. The Line side will, of course, be connected to the bus bar on transformer to the line side of my MTS.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I know of no Code Article that would prohibit such a connection, however, if this is a POCO transformer they have rules prohibiting such an install.

BillCo

It is a POCO transformer

It is a POCO transformer

With it belonging to POCO, I am left with either digging out the existing conduit and re-routing it outside the transformer to a ground box or, and this would be another question, run the same scenario as above but pull out the existing conductors and pull new in from MTS to transformer, into existing conduit, to MDP without splicing if that is allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.