More on smart meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
130911-1128 EDT

The time out function on this site is much too short. If you do not periodically save your composition you loose it.

Starting late this month last year my DTE smart meter was installed. Even though it was advertized that I would be able get on-line information from my meter this was not possible. Many calls to DTE produced no results. About January of this year I finally made contact with the correct DTE person. A person that had knowledge and authority. Within a short time I had data all the way back to the installation time.

Both the web site ease of use, and the data presentation presented some problems. Thus, I started writing a set of notes to help users make use of the available data. This is titled "Reading, Collecting, and Using DTE Smart Meter Data to Help Reduce Energy Use". It is in a preliminary form and I have put its table of contents on my web site.

Yesterday my useful contact at DTE stopped at my home and I discussed the notes and my concerns about the web site with him. We had an extensive discussion because it lasted several hours.

It is not real clear to me what his functional position is, but he can get results. However, he is brudened down by having to deal with many DTE customers that call up crying with claims of health problems, or that their bills have jumped because of the smart meter. Then he has to work with the customer to get the issue resolved.

In one case the customer's bill jumped substantially. The smart meter indirectly was used to determine that an engine block heater was being used. By coincidence after the smart meter was installed the use of the block heater started. Thus, the big jump in their bill. With 1 hour quantized power use information, and when you have a large power rise during a time when there should be little activity it points to something unusual at that time. Thus, thru questions of what was powered at night brought forth the information on the block heater. From there it is easy to show why the bill increased.

Instead of or possibly in addition to the dot sequence DTE is looking into some form of numeric display for short time average power measurement. Voltage can be monitored, but he does not know if the two sides of neutral can be separately measured. If possible, this would be useful to monitor at the meter for a bad neutral from the transformer to the meter.

The meters are pinged periodically to make sure communication exists, but data is only output once per day. A mesh network is used. Loss of power information is transmitted immeadiately.

Even though power is averaged over a 1 hour period it is possible to get useful information to help reduce energy use. Also the meter can be used to measure short time average power.

The 1 hour averaging starts on the hour and ends at the start of the next hour. However, presently the DTE on-line bar graphs are centered on the hour marks, and these bars really need to be shifted plus 1/2 hour so the bar spans the time range of power averaging.

When I put something new on my web site I test with some simple string searches to see where Google places the result.
Just --- "DTE Smart" --- does not get me close to the early pages.
Whereas --- "DTE Smart" data --- puts me 7th on the first page.

There are two interesting sites on this first page:

http://www.smartgrid.gov/case_study...ivery_and_provides_improved_service_customers
This is interesting because it outlines some goals and results.

http://michiganstopsmartmeters.com/tag/dte/
This is far from a correct or balanced discussion. The people behind this information are clearly on an anti-smart meter agenda.

I can not find the reference presently, but someone was claiming that a switching power supply in the smart meter was creating "dirty power" and this was a health risk even when the RF transmission was disabled.

An informed customer can make use of smart meter data to analyze their energy use, and by changing their lifestyle they can reduce their cost, at least in kWh.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
130911-1128 EDT

The time out function on this site is much too short. If you do not periodically save your composition you loose it.
The auto-save function helps you there.
If you get timed out, simply start the post or reply over again and you will be prompted to restore the auto-saved version. At worst you will be missing a minute or so of typing.

gar

Occupation
EE
130912-1327 EDT

If I do a Google search with --- "DTE smart meter" data ---, then this thread comes in first, and second is
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=630418936987737&story_fbid=646069948755969
Read into this a ways and you find the claim that non-RF transmitting electronic meters are a health problem because they create "dirty electricity". Quoting from the agenda people
Wireless transmissions are not the only health hazard of a smart meter. Digital meters?whether smart meters or nontransmitting meters?pump dirty electricity through your home.Dirty electricity that is extremely hazardous to human health. People who have had their smart meter?s wireless turned off are experiencing the same health problems as people with smart meters, just to a slightly lesser degree.
Their link for a discussion on "dirty electricity" did not work for me, but I found a site with a discussion. http://eon3emfblog.net/?p=2180 A quick look indicates half truths, assumptions that may not be valid, and inferences that are probably not valid. No mention is made of all the other switch mode supplies in a house, or if the noise is significant, which I doubt, then how and why it has a health effect.

The people propagating these nonsense ideas are a real cost to the industry and all electric users. They need to be confronted or counteracted with some honest facts and data.

Some items do put a fair amount of RF on the home wiring system. Such as X-10 and similar devices, and TED (The Energy detective). When the open loops in the wiring are not large, in other words when the two current carrying conductors of a closed path are close, like they should be (a cable of Romex), then there is not much energy very far from the wires.

The double quotes in the search string are to reduce a very large amount of unrelated clutter, but including the word data or some other modifier within the quotes is too restrictive.

GoldDigger:

Thanks. I have used the auto-save one time when I forgot to use ctrl-c.

My complaint is that either a time out has been added to posting, or its duration has been shortened. The time out does not seem to correlate with some other functions.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The people propagating these nonsense ideas are a real cost to the industry and all electric users. They need to be confronted or counteracted with some honest facts and data.

Yeah, uh... that doesn't work. :happysad:

The people you're going to be arguing with will be armed with all sorts of "facts" that sound quite compelling to the average schmoe who doesn't know a lot about electricity other than that you plug the box into the wall to get power. When you refute their claims with actual data and physics, they will denounce you as being in the pocket of the big utilities ... or big oil ... or Big Brother ... take your pick. You'll be vilified and painted as a "denier" who is trying to use smart meters to hurt other people's children for personal gain, while they are the righteous crusaders for truth and justice, etc.

I'm not a big fan of smart meters myself--but that's because when they installed mine, my bill magically went up by about $20.00/month. Now, maybe it's the smart meter's fault because now they can charge me more for electricity that gets used during the day, or maybe the smart meter installation just happened to coincide with a rate increase; I haven't checked, because it wouldn't change anything. But I don't lose any sleep at night wondering if the smart meter is going to mess up my daughter who sleeps in the room with the meter on the other side of the wall. It's been installed for almost a year now, and she's only grown one extra eyeball, so we're good. :p

Apparently, I'm just a ray of sunshine today. :D

I have used the auto-save one time when I forgot to use ctrl-c.

My complaint is that either a time out has been added to posting, or its duration has been shortened. The time out does not seem to correlate with some other functions.
I've managed to get around this issue by clicking "keep me logged in" (or whatever that little check box next to the login field says). But I suppose that's only a good idea if you're the only one who uses that computer.

gar

Occupation
EE
130912-2248 EDT

JDBrown:

Thanks. I do not know if that will help.

K8MHZ:

Tonight I learned that Consumers has only about 10,000 to 15,000 installed smart meters, and the installation will go slowly. So you are lucky to have received one, and therefore are able to play with it.

Also learned that a woman mentioned in one of the anti-smart meter web sites, and who is pushing the anti champaign, won't listen to anyone with a technical background. To her everything is a conspiracy.

Our local energy forum meeting tonight included a former VP of Whirpool, and a battery application company founder. Some good information.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
My own concerns have zero to do with RF emission.

But smart meters open an intrusion into our lives that I do not welcome at all. There have been several studies [I'll have to look for cites later] about how your time of day power consumption is revealing of your life's activities. Given the unprecedented snooping already going on now; not just the Fort and email/web browsing, phone call ""metadata"", but roving license plate recorders on cop cars, your passport and DL photos going into a massive "fusion" center for image recognition, cellphone tracking required by the FBI, dataloggers [blackbox] on all new cars..... is there anything left of the Fourth Amendment?

Does anyone believe your smart meter data is off-limits to DEA et.al. without a search warrant?

Separately, the [technical] insanity to me in PGE land is astonishing. The electric meters do store and forward; if your meter can't reach a pole-mounted node, but you can reach the Smith's, and they can reach the Jones' and THEY can hit the node.....

But their gas meters, already handicapped by needing a battery [maintenance issue - truck roll$] can not relay via the electric meter mesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.