Motor Nameplate Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

joec

Can someone please tell me the difference between to two 460 Y configurations listed on this nameplate? The motor is connected 460 Y drawing 7.5A. I would just like to understand the difference between the two ways of terminating this motor. Misprint on nameplate?

Attachments

• IMG01 (1).gif
    IMG01 (1).gif
    57.5 KB · Views: 0

templdl

Can someone please tell me the difference between to two 460 Y configurations listed on this nameplate? The motor is connected 460 Y drawing 7.5A. I would just like to understand the difference between the two ways of terminating this motor. Misprint on nameplate?

It almost appears as if the last 460v is a misprint and should be 480v.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It is the difference between full and 80% loading at 460V. The motor is IEC not NEMA rated. The numbers are correct just Siemens EU's interpretation of NEMA/ANSI requirements. ("cos" is the powerfactor")

topgone

I did some quick calcs and the numbers are correct, no errors whatsoever!
Check using: Motor amps = P/[sqrt(3) x voltage x PF (or cos) x NOM. EFF.]
VHzAkWcosNOM> EFF.CHECK AMPS

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It is the difference between full and 80% loading at 460V. The motor is IEC not NEMA rated. The numbers are correct just Siemens EU's interpretation of NEMA/ANSI requirements. ("cos" is the powerfactor")

That is also consistent with the very slightly higher RPM (1/min) values for the two lines. Lower slip.
Any idea why both the 100% and 80% figures are shown only for the 460 delta case? Is that the NEMA/ANSI requirement interpretation you are referring to, since 460 would be a "US" voltage? I would feel a lot better if that were made explicit in the labeling somehow.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
That is also consistent with the very slightly higher RPM (1/min) values for the two lines. Lower slip.
Any idea why both the 100% and 80% figures are shown only for the 460 delta case? Is that the NEMA/ANSI requirement interpretation you are referring to, since 460 would be a "US" voltage? I would feel a lot better if that were made explicit in the labeling somehow.
I confess I don't remember, especially since it was never a NEMA/ANSI requirement. It's been since 1998 that I worked an IEC project. As I recall, the vendor told me they wanted to emphasize their product had a uniform efficiency across a general operating range typical of many US domestic refineries. Many NEMA manufacturers were creating similar tables although not necessarily on the nameplate. If folks do something long enough, they believe it's a requirement.

It doesn't affect the data on the nameplate though.

Status
Not open for further replies.