Power for pellet insert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bsowden1224

I have been unable to find a definitive answer on this subject, so I hope you can help. My customer is getting a pellet stove insert installed and doesn't want the cord showing. I was wondering if I could run a mc through the ash dump and hardwire the stove by removing their factory cord. I wanted to originally install a plug but it technically isn't accessible unless you were to take off one of the side panels . Any help would be great

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I have been unable to find a definitive answer on this subject, so I hope you can help. My customer is getting a pellet stove insert installed and doesn't want the cord showing. I was wondering if I could run a mc through the ash dump and hardwire the stove by removing their factory cord. I wanted to originally install a plug but it technically isn't accessible unless you were to take off one of the side panels . Any help would be great

Check the products listing, it may allow it to be hard wired

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I was wondering if I could run a mc through the ash dump and hardwire the stove by removing their factory cord.
I would do it if I had to. May violate some U.L. thing so proceed at your own risk.
I wanted to originally install a plug but it technically isn't accessible unless you were to take off one of the side panels . Any help would be great
If this is the only problem then I don't think you have a problem. There is no problem with a recpt, not being readily accessible unless it is a GFCI.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
could run a mc through the ash dump

Better use 260C rated wire if you run thru the ash dump - hot embers possible.
Even then may have a problem even with TFE insulation and nickel plated wire.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
could run a mc through the ash dump

Better use 260C rated wire if you run thru the ash dump - hot embers possible.
Even then may have a problem even with TFE insulation and nickel plated wire.
I assume that the OP is referring to the now unused ash dump of the existing fireplace into which the insert will be installed. I do not think that any embers will exit the bottom of the insert into the area around the old ash dump. It would just be a way of getting wiring into the fire pit area without drilling or removing old firebrick or brick.
The clearance area under the insert may still get hot, so check the manufacturers data before running any wiring there.

Status
Not open for further replies.