Ground as a neutral??

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIMaster

Seems like a ridiculous question but... I got asked it.

What code articles prohibit using the ground as a neutral?

Only one that came to me was 250.6A, there must be at least a few others!

Your help is appreciated.

templdl

When ever this subject has been brought up one is to be reminded that even though neutrals a commonly grounded you can not use a grounded neutral to short cut the need for an EGC. I do realize that the older 3w appliance circuits have been grandfathered in where the neutral and ground conductor are combined, a practice which is not allowed to be used today.
The neutral carried the unbalance current and as such is a current carrying conductor. Usind the nuetral grounded conductor at any point down steam from the the point that it is grounded at the service entrance will allow any devices that use the grounded neutral as a grounding point to be exposed to the neutral current. Thus it exposes anyboby who is touching a device that is supposed to grounded to a potential shock hazzard. As a reminder GFCIs have a 5ma sensitivity. If you are using this method to ground and electric tool with a metal case for example can you be guaranted should someone be using the tool would not be exposed to any current higher than 5ma? I think not.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
When ever this subject has been brought up one is to be reminded that even though neutrals a commonly grounded you can not use a grounded neutral to short cut the need for an EGC.
Also, just for grins, there are limited special cases where the NEC allows a true neutral to not be a grounded conductor at all. (This is only allowed in an ungrounded system (and only special wye systems are allowed to be ungrounded) or in a symmetric/balanced 120V system for special purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.