Using busway instead of cables for emergency system

Status
Not open for further replies.

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
In hospital project, we have generator room located 1000ft far from the served hospital. we need 30 sets of 4core300mm2 cables to achieve 2% voltage drop at the service disconnect in hospital. The optional solution rather than using this no of cables is using a busway which is smaller in size and lenght where we have two service disconnects located in two different locations. During my experience in hospital, i have never seen a busway used in emegency system even though the emegency panels aligned vertically. I know there is no code issue if using busway in emegency system. what you advise me to do since we may face installation problem if we go for cables.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Busway would be considerably cheaper than 30 sets of a conductor/raceway installation. Is there any prohibition for busways in parallel?

m sleem

Occupation
Health
Busway would be considerably cheaper than 30 sets of a conductor/raceway installation. Is there any prohibition for busways in parallel?
You mean no of busways per circuit? if that to avoid using the higher capacity since the busway larger than 4000a is double or triple price, it's a sensible solution.

m sleem

Occupation
Health
Rob, if you could explain the reason of parallel, that would be helpful.

m sleem

Occupation
Health
Finaly got your point, you are right we would need a parallel busways to get 2% vd at the disconnecting mean. but, would you think we meet this exception 225.30(c)?

Status
Not open for further replies.