Auto Tx - Neutral Currents???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisCentral

Good Afternoon,

I need to install an Auto Tx to step up the voltage of a 480VAC 3-ph 50kW generator to the connection voltage of the building 600VAC (Canada).

I am worried about neutral currents (The Wye's of Wye's) but Auto Tx's are a different beast!

The service Tx to the building is 347/600VAC Wye:g... should I connect the Neutral or not? What about the fact that the XO and HO are the same in an Auto Tx?

I think no Neutral connection and no ground connection on the XO/HO point but any advice or tips otherwise would be very helpful.

Thanks!!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Good Afternoon,

I need to install an Auto Tx to step up the voltage of a 480VAC 3-ph 50kW generator to the connection voltage of the building 600VAC (Canada).

I am worried about neutral currents (The Wye's of Wye's) but Auto Tx's are a different beast!

The service Tx to the building is 347/600VAC Wye:g... should I connect the Neutral or not? What about the fact that the XO and HO are the same in an Auto Tx?

I think no Neutral connection and no ground connection on the XO/HO point but any advice or tips otherwise would be very helpful.

Thanks!!
I assume that the building has some line to neutral loads.
If it does, you must supply a grounded H0. Normally you would do that via a delta to wye transformer even with a wye service. But with each of your windings being an autotransformer (boost), you cannot avoid grounding the XO too.
I don't think you can do what you want.
I also do not see a delta to delta setup you can do without isolation, unless you have a corner ground service.

templdl

It would really be a great help of the OP included a one line diagram on his application. If so his question probably could be answered easily.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Good Afternoon,

Thanks!!

Your voltage is 480V 3ph. If stated correctly, there is no neutral. Utilizing a transformer to step it up would simply be a delta LV side with wye grounded HV side (480-600V). The generator will be grounded at the generator.

If the service is 600Y/347V then you can take the neutral off the HV side of the step-up transformer to the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.