Solenoid type ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.

earlson

A load is connected from solenoid type ATS of wc it is fed from sync panel of genset and lvsg 400v. While the lvsg is also fed from sync of genset. If normal power shuts off, ATS will transfer to get power from sync panel but from the same sync panel the lvsg supplying ATS will also have power coming from sync panel. Meaning the ATS will have both feeders energized coming directly from sync and lvsg. Is this ok? Will ATS work properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

templdl

A load is connected from solenoid type ATS of wc it is fed from sync panel of genset and lvsg 400v. While the lvsg is also fed from sync of genset. If normal power shuts off, ATS will transfer to get power from sync panel but from the same sync panel the lvsg supplying ATS will also have power coming from sync panel. Meaning the ATS will have both feeders energized coming directly from sync and lvsg. Is this ok? Will ATS work properly?

Is this a test are class question? Is a UL listing required?
Your use of the term solenoid is interesting as I am to assume that the correct term should be contactor.
A solenoid is simply a electromechanical device that when energized just moves something mechanically. I know that Westinghouse who is now Eaton Electrical/Cutler-Hammer had a solenoid operated breaker type transfer switch which I believe that they still do. The solenoid operates the toggle on the breaker.

Last edited:

earlson

It is actual design to be used in a project. Yes it is contactor type probably actuated by solenoid. It should be UL listed. We are trying to make this kind of redundancy to a life safety equipment such as fire pumps and smoke extraction fans panelboards.

templdl

It is actual design to be used in a project. Yes it is contactor type probably actuated by solenoid. It should be UL listed. We are trying to make this kind of redundancy to a life safety equipment such as fire pumps and smoke extraction fans panelboards.

Have you considered ASCO? They have had a design that is based around a contactor design. That is what their philosophy has been for as long as I can remember, a design the is the extremely popular and holds a significant percentage of the market.
Another design is breaker type which is a bit slower when transferring making it much easier to allow for a time delay neutral and to provide actual breaker protection in lieu of basic molded case switches alone with all of the other options that breakers may provide.
In addition, breaker type transfer switches can be listed for SE which is not required for your application I'm sure.

earlson

Im talking about the design of power supply redundancy not ats design. Does ATS work properly if both incoming feeders are energized?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Im talking about the design of power supply redundancy not ats design. Does ATS work properly if both incoming feeders are energized?

If the ATS has internal control elements to actuate itself automatically based in the presence or absence of power at its primary and secondary inputs, no.
If it is designed to accept external control inputs which override the input voltage information, yes.

The "automatic" in ATS usually implies internal ligic

earlson

Thanks for the info! Actually i have seen design and installation of this scenario where in ATS is fed from 2 panels which are both backed up from 1 sync panel. Now i understand why!

Status
Not open for further replies.