NEC 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Just got back from the IAEI Western Section Meeting. Of course, due to the 2014 edition coming out the meeting was devoted to 2014 changes. Lots of changes, some good, some not so good. The anti AFCI camp will really like the AFCI changes-not. We will now have 6 methods of complying with the AFCI requirements. And here is where it gets interesting, 2 of the methods don't even have products available to use them (sound familiar?). And of course as most know, that basically everything in the home will be AFCI except the bathroom and garage.
I think this is going to be a real issue for a lot of people. There was zero talk of the voodoo technology involved here and I didn't dare bring it up or ask for some hard data on the track record for the number of "saved" fires for fear of being run out of the meeting. Everyone just acted like this is the greatest thing in the world.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What 2 afci methods are not available? I know the afci receptacle by Leviton is already out and has been for more than 6 months.

480sparky

Well, it's kind of complicated. Not sure if I am allowed to post from copywrited material.

Fair use under the US Copyright (Title 17) law:

? 107 ? Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use
Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a
copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords
or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism,
comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use),
scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining
whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to
be considered shall include?
(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a
commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copy
righted work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copy
righted work.
The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if
such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I've been to the last two IAEI NW section meetings on code changes. But since Mike Johnson left for NECA, their material is not the same. Plus the IAEI analysis of changes has a lot of full page pictures and changes that are not really important.
Mikes material is far better.

Status
Not open for further replies.