When to use a lighting control panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kleonard

I had a question today regarding if there is an nec code as to when you have to use a lighting control panel. I've never even thought of it I've done hundreds of projects where I've put panels in but never thought of looking for a code on the issue. I'm in Mesa, Arizona and I work all over the valley but for the most part all the cities have adapted the 2011 code. I would appriciate some feed back on this.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I had a question today regarding if there is an nec code as to when you have to use a lighting control panel. I've never even thought of it I've done hundreds of projects where I've put panels in but never thought of looking for a code on the issue. I'm in Mesa, Arizona and I work all over the valley but for the most part all the cities have adapted the 2011 code. I would appriciate some feed back on this.

I know of no NEC code rule requiring a lighting control panel.

Only thing I can remotely relate this to is in the 2005 and earlier editions a distinction was made between a "lighting and appliance panelboard and a power panelboard. It was 408.34.

The 2008 removed that section from the code.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The International Energy Conservation Code requires auto-off for many lights. That can be accomplished with a lighting control panel.

Here is a link that says which states have adopted this code. I find enforcement is spotty, and not equally enforced. Architects and Engineers are often held to this code, while contractors and design-builders seem to be given a free pass.

http://www.energycodes.gov/status-state-energy-code-adoption

Az is one of the few states that haven't passed a statewide energy conservation code, but there may be local adoption.

mgookin

... Architects and Engineers are often held to this code, while contractors and design-builders seem to be given a free pass.

Because the plans examiner does his job but the inspector is too lazy to read the plans. The bid set is the first set that got rejected by plan review, and that's what they build with, unfortunately.

Shoe

Your state energy code will dictate the need for "Automatic Shutoff" of lighting in interior spaces. They are often adopted from ASHRAE 90.1 / IECC or a state-specific code (i.e. California).

The code is written such that you often have the option to use either lighting control panels or occupancy sensing devices. What you choose to implement in which areas will likely be determined by various factors including: cost, operability, and Owner-preference.

For example, a private office is often more easily addressed using occupancy sensing than through a centralized lighting control panel. However, large lobby, atrium spaces, manufacturing areas, etc. can often benefit from a centralized lighting control panel programmed to shutoff on a scheduled basis.

hbendillo

I am assuming you are talking about commercial work. We use them all the time. Read the International Energy Conservation Code if it applies in your jurisdiction but basically any building or space over 5000 square feet is required to have automatic lighting shutoff with some exceptions. You can do this almost exclusively with occupancy sensor switching depending on the layout of the building. Large contiguous spaces and other spaces not easily controlled by occupancy sensor switching will normally require lighting control panels to allow time schedule switching for those circuits. There are other requirements such as load reduction switching required in some spaces depending on conditions. We are required to abide by the IECC for all our projects in South Carolina.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.