Residential Generator Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarsabin

New User
When building a residential generator platform (cynder block or Steel) for shore areas where the municipality requires (or customer) the lift of at least 4'. Does the working space for maintenance apply here? Can I build the platform within the footprint of the generator, or do I need to build it 30" wider to accommodate for working clearances. My only thought here is that as long as the maintenance area or breaker on the generator is not higher than 6'6", It's not needed. Thanks for any help here.

templdl

When building a residential generator platform (cynder block or Steel) for shore areas where the municipality requires (or customer) the lift of at least 4'. Does the working space for maintenance apply here? Can I build the platform within the footprint of the generator, or do I need to build it 30" wider to accommodate for working clearances. My only thought here is that as long as the maintenance area or breaker on the generator is not higher than 6'6", It's not needed. Thanks for any help here.

Personally I would pour a concrete slab using 2x4s as a form. Is there a reason why you would be limiting the size of the pad to the footprint of the genset? I would make it a bit bigger by at least 3" around. If you had to work on the generator yourself how much clearance would you like to have?
Of course this is based upon the genset mfgr not having and instructions to to otherwise. In other words what does the mfgr's instruction direct?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

I think this is going to be an AHJ call. When I lived in a coastal area some years back we used to run into this with gensets. Four feet or so, like in your case, we would just pour a base about 6" or so larger than the genset foot print to the required height, as long as the breaker did not end up more that the 6'7". It actually made the servicing of the machine easier. Now we would sometimes have cases where the machine had to be raised to a much higher level and in that case it would require a platform with the required room for clearance, hand rail, ladder, the works (think of a stilt house).

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Personally I would pour a concrete slab using 2x4s as a form. Is there a reason why you would be limiting the size of the pad to the footprint of the genset?

How about the cost of concrete to fill up a pedestal of that area but 4 feet high off the ground/foundation?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO the elevated platform is wider than the generator will encroach on the working space. However if it's only a few inches I don't see it as a problem. As mentioned only the AHJ can determine if it's acceptable or not.

templdl

How about the cost of concrete to fill up a pedestal of that area but 4 feet high off the ground/foundation?

I guess a 2x4 form is not 4' high. The OP have us very little information as to the size of the "residential" generator which would influence the design of the mounting platform.
This may be an overkill but I would start with a footing to support the concrete or cinder blocks on which may end up to be 6 courses high to keep the stable. Then fill the inside area with gravel building a 2x4 form in a way that you can pore a concrete platform on top of the blocks.
Keep in mind that this could be very well be an overkill. If this is an expensive home this may not be something to cut corners on.

broadgage

I would think that a common-sense argument would be that placing a generator on a platform 4 feet high might make maintenance EASIER than kneeling or crouching to one located at ground/floor level.
Depends on the size of the generator of course, a large unit might now have some components too high for proper access, but for a small one should be no problem.

ceb58

Have a welding shop build a frame from aluminum angle iron. Make it where the gen sets inside the angle. Remember what ever you do, the oil drain on these small units are a tube that you pull out over the side of the cabinet. Don't block the access for getting a pan under it.

templdl

Have a welding shop build a frame from aluminum angle iron. Make it where the gen sets inside the angle. Remember what ever you do, the oil drain on these small units are a tube that you pull out over the side of the cabinet. Don't block the access for getting a pan under it.
You have that right. Oil changes can be a big miss. If it has a NPT connection by adding an extension with a cap can make oil changes a lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.