Voltages used in Ontario Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

Does anyone know what voltage systems are availible in Ontario Canada, in and around Melbourne? Hertz?
We made 3-phase equipment for the Canadian Coastguards.
It was 575V, 3-ph 60Hz.
Residential has 120V, 60Hz.
I don't know if a 120-0-120 is used as in USA but I'd be a bit surprised if it wasn't.

Google is your friend, the first hit is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country:

Smaller buildings (like houses) are supplied with 240/120V split-phase with 240V being used for large loads and 120V for all else. Type A outlets are for repairs only (houses from the 1950s and prior that have no ground conductor), type B are required for new construction and renovation. A 20-Amp type B but with a T-slot can be used in kitchens in new construction.[8] Low-voltage three phase is 208/120V and also 600/347V in larger buildings.

mgookin

Does anyone know what voltage systems are availible in Ontario Canada, in and around Melbourne? Hertz?

Hello Neighbor: Sounds like you have some work up there. I suggest you contact your client and have them provide the specs on the power. The mains grid map only provides the lowest voltages & frequencies used in a given geographic region.

broadgage

Domestic or similar small premises are virtualy certain to be either single phase, 3 wire, at 120/240 volts, just as in the USA, or 3 phase, 4 wire, at 120/208 volts also as in the USA, or 3 wire 120/208 derived from a 3 phase, 4 wire system.

Old services to small homes may still be 2 wire, 120 volt only.

Larger premises might be either 3 phase, 4 wire at 120/208 or 3 phase, 4 wire at 347/600 volt.

All 60 cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.