Installing I-line Busway Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

Have 400 amp Sq D I -Line busway . We once in awhile have to relocate bus switches . I have the power to the bus shut down when ever we remove or install switches . Just wonder if anyone does this "HOT" with bus energized ? The manual says to wear PPE but I prefer to shut down the power . Have a manager asking why we can't do it energized !

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
It may be wrong but in my younger days we always swapped these out hot and would still do it today--as long as there was no load attached--so I can't see why not-- if you are wearing the properly rated PPE

And if I am incorrect I bet someone on here will let me(us) know ASAP cause i hate giving out incorrect info

Last edited:

Davebones

In our younger days I think most all of us did things "HOT" . Used to open 4160 cabinets while energized and just lay a blanket over the terminals while inside them . Back then the only PPE was your safety glasses .

kentirwin

It may be wrong but in my younger days we always swapped these out hot and would still do it today--as long as there was no load attached--so I can't see why not-- if you are wearing the properly rated PPE

And if I am incorrect I bet someone on here will let me(us) know ASAP cause i hate giving out incorrect info

Depending on the hazard analysis for a particular bus the "properly rated ppe" might just wind up being a flash suit/hood, etc. If you can work it de-energized then that's the best way imo as well as OSHA/NFPA.

WorkSafe

I'll give you OSHA's answer:

1910.333(a)(1)

"Deenergized parts." Live parts to which an employee may be exposed shall be deenergized before the employee works on or near them, unless the employer can demonstrate that deenergizing introduces additional or increased hazards or is infeasible due to equipment design or operational limitations. Live parts that operate at less than 50 volts to ground need not be deenergized if there will be no increased exposure to electrical burns or to explosion due to electric arcs.

Working hot is only permitted if you meet some of the situations cited above. :thumbsup:

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Have 400 amp Sq D I -Line busway . We once in awhile have to relocate bus switches . I have the power to the bus shut down when ever we remove or install switches . Just wonder if anyone does this "HOT" with bus energized ? The manual says to wear PPE but I prefer to shut down the power . Have a manager asking why we can't do it energized !

In the 90's Siemens had a problem with their bus plugs. After a year of arguing, and then a third degree flash burn of one of my workers, they did extensive investigation and found out that during shipping the impacts were cracking the insulation around the bus fingers. Before that, they just assumed we were being overly aggressive during our installation. We had to prove with witnesses that they were coming out of the box that way.

Anyway, back to the point. We weren't in to PPE back then even in strict California. The OSHA investigation didn't fine us or find us negligent. But the high rise we were working in established a new policy that regardless of the pain caused to their combined 150 plus floors of tenants, bus plugs would no longer be done without turning off power. I agree with them. Suit or no suit, an arc flash is unacceptable. To feel otherwise would be like saying it is Ok to speed and get in an accident just because everyone has airbags.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The manual says to wear PPE but I prefer to shut down the power.

Read the instructions carefully.
I see them saying to use appropriate PPE (this would be needed to verify de-energized bus).
The next line says to 'de-energize the bus or remove the plug-in unit' before working on the line side terminals.

No where do I see them encouraging energized installation of plug-in units, although there is no explicit prohibition either.

User2

Busway Switches are considered as dangerous if not more so than racking/opening/closing breakers on switchgears. At no time should these be deinstalled/installed "live". Live work should only be permitted if there is a very significant reason for this to be done. 99 percent of the time live work cannot be justified and the electrical equipment should be de-engergized. On the busways we have on site there is a 13ft arc blast radius and we use hotsticks to switch them on and off. Otherwise you need to be wearing the correct hazard category rated ppe when even switching any of these switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.