Event tent under transmission lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentirwin

I'm ten weeks in to a new employment position in which I am the electrical safety guy for a fairly large manufacturer. This week the company is holding an anniversary event. As part of that some event tents have gone up. Yesterday morning for the first time I walked out to survey the scene and found one of the tents had been set up directly beneath transmission lines that run directly behind and in close proximity to the company's property. The tent poles are metal of course.

While overhead separation distances are sometimes hard to estimate from the ground, I estimated that the top of the peak tent pole is approximately 15' from the lowest line. I have yet to find out if a permit was issued for the 3 tents or even what the local ahj requires for permitting event tents/structures. Besides permitting, being erected in the utility right of way easement does anyone have any other thoughts to share? This is a first for me.

mgookin

Those transmission lines are commonly in a transmission easement. With an easement, poco does not own the land and the land owner still can use their land for all uses not prohibited. It's common to have parking areas in transmission easements, but not apartment buildings. As to the 15' that sounds pretty close. A call to poco construction division might clarify the minimum distance from those conductors for safety.

kentirwin

Those transmission lines are commonly in a transmission easement. With an easement, poco does not own the land and the land owner still can use their land for all uses not prohibited. It's common to have parking areas in transmission easements, but not apartment buildings. As to the 15' that sounds pretty close. A call to poco construction division might clarify the minimum distance from those conductors for safety.

Thanks. I already know it's a violation of the poco's easement use restrictions as it's easily found in their published documents. In light of the fact that there have been some high profile deaths in recent years concerning tent poles and overhead lines I guess I'm looking for standards other than NEC for erection of such event structures in proximity to overhead lines. With all the members of this forum and their combined years of experience I thought perhaps someone might have had experience with something similar.

mgookin

You could check with the city and see if a tent permit is required. We require permits for all tents >10x10. And if your company used a vendor, you could call them up and chew on their hind end for putting them so close to those transmission lines; have them come move them. I realize you're here looking for more backup, and that will come along I'm sure, but the clock's ticking. When is your event?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Thanks. I already know it's a violation of the poco's easement use restrictions as it's easily found in their published documents. In light of the fact that there have been some high profile deaths in recent years concerning tent poles and overhead lines I guess I'm looking for standards other than NEC for erection of such event structures in proximity to overhead lines. With all the members of this forum and their combined years of experience I thought perhaps someone might have had experience with something similar.

As long as the tents are up and the 15 foot vertical clearance is OK with POCO, I do not see an urgent safety hazard. Accidents involving tents usually involve poled that are long enough to touch the lines or unsafe use of cranes or cheery pickers to erect them.
For example, a man in a better bucket lift working above the center of the tent might stand tall enough to hit the lines or might be holding something tall
A common problem is relying on horizontal rather than vertical separation for safety, and then something falls....

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I suspect that given the clearances, it is relatively safe. The most unsafe part of it is erecting it and taking it down. It will have to be taken down anyway, so might as well leave it there.

Just because the POCO publishes rules on what can be done in their easement does not make it so. They can make a rule about anything, but the actual wording of the easement is what matters if the property does not actually belong to them.

I am surprised the tent people put it up there in the first place, but if they are not worried about it, maybe there is nothing to worry about.

kentirwin

I suspect that given the clearances, it is relatively safe. The most unsafe part of it is erecting it and taking it down. It will have to be taken down anyway, so might as well leave it there.

Just because the POCO publishes rules on what can be done in their easement does not make it so. They can make a rule about anything, but the actual wording of the easement is what matters if the property does not actually belong to them.

I am surprised the tent people put it up there in the first place, but if they are not worried about it, maybe there is nothing to worry about.

The event was today and is winding down now anyway. I was never worried about the clearances I observed once the tents were erected. As has been stated by others was more concerned with the erection and disassembly and the equipment used to so. I never saw the tents until after they were erected yesterday. Was mainly interested in the experience of others in regard to similar situations and permitting/laws/regs in other localities as I have not yet been able to find the info on my locality other than poco's.

The tents were erected by an event contractor, permit status unknown, permit requirements from city unknown. Requirements by poco for their easement known and tents in violation strictly by poco's rules. Property ownership unknown.

I can't undo what is done. What I can do is gather facts for the next time.

Here's the OSHA's clearances. The document is for operating equipment around power lines. I would say erecting tent poles is equal to operating a crane around the lines. Most transmission construction is around 14' minimum to the wood pole and cross arm for 345kv, usually is greater for steel, but not all the time. Transmission structures obviously don't move like a tent pole or a crane which is way the approach distance should be further for a margin of error.

Just my POV, not an expert, but 15' sounds too close.

http://www.signs.org/SignIndustry/T...ety/PowerLineSafetyOSHA29CFR192614071411.aspx

tish53

I would be very concerned about a tent being erected under transmission lines. Here in VA we have had some recent horrific accidents with tent being erected under lines. ( one with the boy scouts). My experience has been the tent rental and erection companies do not pay much attention to what is above them.

cadpoint

This bothers me a bit. Cause in point is that it's useless called a utility easement. Other types of services can be located in there. Besides there is not that much free land in Norfolk. :roll:

Tent stakes are usually not short!

The plant should have a copy of the plat deed of record showing this easement also refered to as the survey. All this is public record down at City Hall, and can be researched for free, copies made at a price.

Status
Not open for further replies.