What is this in laymans terms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
"120 volt single phase 3-wire balanced 120/240 volt 200 Amp Electrical Spooner".
I have no idea what spooner has to do with it.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
Well, there are a lot of electricians in Spooner, Wisconsin, but I have no idea how balanced they are.

Was this from an ad or what?
From a customer of ours:
Not sure what RFP means either.....

Have a strange question for you. I am reviewing an RFP which calls for ?120 volt single phase 3-wire balanced 120/240 volt 200 Amp Electrical Spooner?. Do our shelters comply with that spec? what is being referenced there.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
From a customer of ours:
Not sure what RFP means either.....

Have a strange question for you. I am reviewing an RFP which calls for ?120 volt single phase 3-wire balanced 120/240 volt 200 Amp Electrical Spooner?. Do our shelters comply with that spec? what is being referenced there.

RFP stands for Request For Proposal. Basically a bid request where you get to write the bid specifications yourself with the customer giving just an overall use requirement rather than a detailed plan.
RFQ, on the other hand, would be Request for Quote, and would imply a more detailed specification is to be followed or a simple equipment purchase.

RFPs are common in IT among other places.

My guess is that Spooner is either a typo or the auto-correct of a typo.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
RFP stands for Request For Proposal. Basically a bid request where you get to write the bid specifications yourself with the customer giving just an overall use requirement rather than a detailed plan.
RFQ, on the other hand, would be Request for Quote, and would imply a more detailed specification is to be followed or a simple equipment purchase.

RFPs are common in IT among other places.

My guess is that Spooner is either a typo or the auto-correct of a typo.

Damn auto correct!!!

Besoeker

Damn auto correct!!!
It's much better than it used to be.
A few years ago I was puting together a proposal for electrical kit at a water pumping station.
One part of it referred ta borehole pumpset. Word didn't like that. It offered brothel site as a correction.......

templdl

A few years ago I was puting together a proposal for electrical kit at a water pumping station.
One part of it referred ta borehole pumpset. Word didn't like that. It offered brothel site as a correction.......

That was a good one.
Thanks for sharing.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

a coworker was using an online translator to translate some stuff into Romanian.

he unintentionally (at least he claimed it was unintentional) typed in slut instead of slot.

This is what it came up with.

Slut C?z?tur? nemernic? dac? nu ?i
Slot Slot

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
"Spooner" isn't the only problem with the RFP. It speaks of 120 volt, single phase, 3-wire (that is OK by itself), then it speaks of 120/240 volts, which would require 4 wires. So there is an inconsistency here. I would definitely submit a question to the owner, using an RFI or whatever other process is called out in the RFP.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
"Spooner" isn't the only problem with the RFP. It speaks of 120 volt, single phase, 3-wire (that is OK by itself), then it speaks of 120/240 volts, which would require 4 wires. So there is an inconsistency here. I would definitely submit a question to the owner, using an RFI or whatever other process is called out in the RFP.
This is the only "Spooner" I've seen on the market, but I've never heard of an electric version :D
spooner.jpg
Charlie, what's the problem with 120/240 single-phase, 3-wire? I see that notation all the time. You've got 2 hots and a neutral, for a total of 3 wires. Just like we call 208Y/120V 3-phase, 4-wire (3 hots, 1 neutral). Are you counting the EGC when you say 120/240 single-phase would require 4 wires? Because we don't count it when dealing with 3-phase -- I've never seen plans that call for 208Y/120V 3-phase, 5-wire.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My problem was with their calling for 120 volt single phase 3-wire, which I took to mean Hot, Neutral Ground, and then calling for 120/240 volts. It was inconsistent. I don't mind using the notation of 120/208V, three phase, 4-wire plus ground, or calling it 5-wire. But just be clear and consistent.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
My problem was with their calling for 120 volt single phase 3-wire, which I took to mean Hot, Neutral Ground, and then calling for 120/240 volts. It was inconsistent. I don't mind using the notation of 120/208V, three phase, 4-wire plus ground, or calling it 5-wire. But just be clear and consistent.

Quite consistently "120 volt single phase 3-wire balanced" is just L1/N/L2 with no 240 loads.

Besoeker

"Spooner" isn't the only problem with the RFP. It speaks of 120 volt, single phase, 3-wire (that is OK by itself), then it speaks of 120/240 volts, which would require 4 wires.
Wouldn't 120V-0-120V be three wires and still give 240V?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
But, isn't 120-0-120 commonly used?
How would you describe it?

The standard usage is
120/240 single phase three-wire.

The "single phase" part is not required, but is often added. You could also say "split-phase" but that is not as commonly accepted as standard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.