480V Switchgear on 240V Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I could understand why the 600v breakers were supplied. The actual interunit pricing is probably the same as for a lower voltage breaker so cost wise it made no difference to the pnlbd/swbd plant. I find it to be very strange that the item was basically sent to yo is a do it yourself kit though.
And I question the kaic rating based upon a series rating and a do it yourself assembly?
And the type 'LA' originated from Westinghouse as a basic 400a frame thermal magnetic breaker. The they were able to engineer that frame into a 600a frame. As such LA3400 and LA3600 which are now provided by Eaton electrical (C-H) which are 600v.
Most industrial/commercial breakers are 600v. It's when you get into the smaller bolt-ons and the in between sizes where they end up rated 240, 277/480, 480v which may be different from one manufacturer to another.
I have ordered many Square D panels and had to field assemble them in the past. Both I-line as well as smaller bolt-on's, like NQ or NF series. The bus assembly is not field assembled, but I have several times had to remove main lugs and install a main breaker kit or even a sub feed lug kit. The NQ and NF usually have neutral assembly attached to same assembly as the main bus, but I-line usually they send a separate neutral assembly that mounts to the cabinet separately.

I think you can probably order most of those panels factory assembled, not sure if they would cost more, but AFAIK you may be waiting longer for them than if they just send you components out of stock. My distributor uses software from Square D to enter necessary data and the computer "builds" the material list for the panel from the specs entered, and they either pull from stock, order it, or a little of both.

Series rating? I did not select the breakers, I told them what available current was, their program selected the breaker types AFAIK. I kind of did some double checking from the generated materials list and it appeared the branch breakers were rated for series with the main we had, but the panel with no single main did use higher AIC rated breakers as each one was a main - but similar available current in that install also.

templdl

I have ordered many Square D panels and had to field assemble them in the past. Both I-line as well as smaller bolt-on's, like NQ or NF series. The bus assembly is not field assembled, but I have several times had to remove main lugs and install a main breaker kit or even a sub feed lug kit. The NQ and NF usually have neutral assembly attached to same assembly as the main bus, but I-line usually they send a separate neutral assembly that mounts to the cabinet separately.

I think you can probably order most of those panels factory assembled, not sure if they would cost more, but AFAIK you may be waiting longer for them than if they just send you components out of stock. My distributor uses software from Square D to enter necessary data and the computer "builds" the material list for the panel from the specs entered, and they either pull from stock, order it, or a little of both.

Series rating? I did not select the breakers, I told them what available current was, their program selected the breaker types AFAIK. I kind of did some double checking from the generated materials list and it appeared the branch breakers were rated for series with the main we had, but the panel with no single main did use higher AIC rated breakers as each one was a main - but similar available current in that install also.

We used to a lot of created stuff at my distributor also. Basically it was bolt on panels an MCCs.
We were able to supply items is 1-3 weeks rather 6-10. The one thing to be aware of is that breakers supplying in a panel from the factory are often significantly less expensive than in you purchase them separately.
But it is thinking outside the box that often gets you the projects.

templdl

We used to a lot of created stuff at my distributor also. Basically it was bolt on panels an MCCs.
We were able to supply items is 1-3 weeks rather 6-10. The one thing to be aware of is that breakers supplying in a panel from the factory are often significantly less expensive than in you purchase them separately.

kwired

Electron manager

Most of my projects are small enough, that the project is already completed in 6-10 weeks. And many of those you only get a couple weeks notice before you even know you will be doing the project, or if you do know further ahead of time, you often don't have enough details until it gets close to time to start.

templdl

Most of my projects are small enough, that the project is already completed in 6-10 weeks. And many of those you only get a couple weeks notice before you even know you will be doing the project, or if you do know further ahead of time, you often don't have enough details until it gets close to time to start.

What you are doing separates from others. It's call finding a different way to skin a cat and that's what can make it fun when you use your knowledge and creativity. My outside salesman and I developed a lock off for industrial MCCBs for older breakers before our company designed a new breaker with that option. We sold hundreds of them through our distributor. They covered the 150a -1200a frames. They filled the need for lock offs when the option was not available but the needs to comply with the safety requirements were.
It's nice the be able to say that "I can do that."

Status
Not open for further replies.