System Grounding for Ungrounded Systems 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit2

In reading the 2014 Draft for 690.47 there is new wording that allows the equipment grounding conductor to be used for the ground-fault detection reference for ungrounded PV systems...

"An ac equipment grounding system shall be permitted
to be used for equipment grounding of inverters and other
equipment, and the ground-fault detection reference for ungrounded
PV systems. [ROP 4?310a]"

According to 690.45 my equipment grounding conductor is allowed to be no smaller than a #14 conductor...

690.47(B) says that..."Direct-Current Systems. If installing a dc system, a grounding electrode system shall be provided in accordance with 250.166 for grounded systems or 250.169 for ungrounded systems."

In reading 250.166 the minimum size for grounding electrode conductor is #8...

So under the new wording at the end of 690.47 for 2014 that allows the equipment grounding conductor to serve as the ground-fault detection reference for ungrounded PV systems, would the size be a minimum of #8 be required or is #14 permitted in some of the smaller systems?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The way I read that, you could use down to #14, following 250.122. The new language you quoted would modify the requirement in 250.166. (See 90.3.) The system still requires connection to a grounding electrode system, but this can simply be through an EGC, like any other AC equipment.

To put it another way...
The subject of your post is misleading; there is no system grounding for an ungrounded system, by definition. This new language seems to recognize that and thus only require equipment grounding. Something that is a step towards a more sensible code, if you ask me.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The subject of your post is misleading; there is no system grounding for an ungrounded system, by definition. This new language seems to recognize that and thus only require equipment grounding. Something that is a step towards a more sensible code, if you ask me.
On the other hand, this recognition of separate functions puts even more reliance on the presence of a ground detector in the ungrounded system. Otherwise the second fault could put current that is limited only by the phase OCPDs onto the #14 EGC wires.

shortcircuit2

The way I read that, you could use down to #14, following 250.122. The new language you quoted would modify the requirement in 250.166. (See 90.3.) The system still requires connection to a grounding electrode system, but this can simply be through an EGC, like any other AC equipment.

To put it another way...

I did confuse the subject. So because the transformer-less type inverter is not separately derived, it is not subject to the requirements of 250.169?

Which code section still requires the connection to the grounding electrode system? Is it because ground-fault protection 690.35(C) is required and for the GF to operate there has to be connection to ground?

shortcircuit2

On the other hand, this recognition of separate functions puts even more reliance on the presence of a ground detector in the ungrounded system. Otherwise the second fault could put current that is limited only by the phase OCPDs onto the #14 EGC wires.

New in 2014 is the section below...

"250.167 Direct-Current Ground Fault Detection. [ROP
5?223]
(A) Ungrounded Systems. Ground fault detection systems
shall be required for ungrounded systems.[ROP 5?223]
(B) Grounded Systems. Ground fault detection shall be
permitted for grounded systems. [ROP 5?223]
(C) Marking. Direct-current systems shall be legibly
marked to indicate the grounding type at the dc source or
the first disconnecting means of the system. The marking
shall be of sufficient durability to withstand the environment
involved. [ROP 5?223]

Informational Note: NFPA 70E-2012 identifies four
direct-current grounding types in detail. [ROP 5?223]"

Will this apply to ungrounded PV arrays?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

I don't follow your point. 250.122 still applies on both the AC and DC sides. Faults in PV systems typically won't trip an OCPD in any case; that's why GFDI is required.

I did confuse the subject. So because the transformer-less type inverter is not separately derived, it is not subject to the requirements of 250.169?

I'd say it's still a little ambiguous, but my take would be that whereas a grounded system needs an GEC run from the system grounding point, an ungrounded system just needs equipment grounding by connection to an AC equipment grounding system. This fits with the Article 100 definitions of a GEC and EGC. And I think the new language you quoted is clearly intended to make that distinction, regardless of whether an ungrounded PV system is a separately derived system (it isn't). If it wasn't intended to make that distinction, then why did they put it in?

I don't know if and how 250.169 might have been revised as well, but I'd say clear language in Chapter 6 would modify its requirements regardless.

Which code section still requires the connection to the grounding electrode system? Is it because ground-fault protection 690.35(C) is required and for the GF to operate there has to be connection to ground?

Between the definition of an EGC in Article 100, and several other sections (e.g. 250.130), an EGC has to be bonded to the grounding electrode system. 690.43 requires equipment grounding for PV equipment and racking.

For the GFDI to operate there has to be a connection between the ground terminal of the GFDI itself (usually just the inverter grounding terminal), and any and all of the racking and metal parts likely to conduct a PV circuit fault. Strictly speaking the GFDI may not need to be connected to ground to operate, but you sort of can't be so sure it will operate if it isn't. And the code also requires that all those parts be grounded for personnel safety anyway.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
My understanding of GFDI in ungrounded systems is that it doesn't actually look for current to ground directly but looks at the current on the positive and negative conductors and sets a fault if they are different.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My understanding of GFDI in ungrounded systems is that it doesn't actually look for current to ground directly but looks at the current on the positive and negative conductors and sets a fault if they are different.

If the system is truly ungrounded, then a fault to ground by itself will not draw any current. If there is no current through the fault there will not be any difference kn the current in the two leads.
This is a difference between the interpretation of "ungrounded" between AC services and systems and DC PV arrays.
I consider the PV situation more closely analogous to an AC system with a high resistance ground by, in that there is a time-varying relationship ti ground and you are looking for a deviation from that.
At DC it is harder to build a differential current sensor than it is with AC.

BillK-AZ

If the system is truly ungrounded, then a fault to ground by itself will not draw any current.

Not true.

While the array is not grounded in these systems, the array is ground referenced by virtue of its connection to the non-isolated inverter. As a result, any ground fault in the array circuit will result in current flowing and hence a difference in current in the two array leads.

If you have access to an operating transformer-less inverter with an ungrounded array, take a multimeter set for measuring AC voltage and carefully measure the potential from each of the array leads to ground. You will find a voltage about that of the line voltage. Any connection will result in current flow and trip off the inverter.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
At DC it is harder to build a differential current sensor than it is with AC.
Why would it be more complicated than a clamp ammeter around both conductors? If it shows anything other than zero, there's a problem.

SolarPro

As explained in this article:

http://solarprofessional.com/articl...power-systems-in-the-nec?v=disable_pagination

there are basically two parts to the ground-fault detection and interruption scheme used in a non-isolated inverter.

"The ground-fault protection system used in non-isolated inverters includes a regular test of PV array insulation resistance. This test is performed by an isolation monitor interrupter (IMI), which UL defines as ?a device that monitors the insulation resistance of a PV array circuit to ground and prevents energization of the inverter ac output circuit or disconnects an energized output circuit when the PV array input resistance drops below a predetermined level.? The IMI performs the PV array insulation resistance test in the early morning hours, when the PV source-circuit voltage is high but there is not enough current for the inverter to begin operating.

The IMI measures any current leakage between all the conductors in the PV circuit to ground and identifies levels of leakage current above set values. This technique is very similar to the insulation tests that electricians perform on unenergized electrical conductors using portable megohm meters. If the tested source-circuit conductor insulation resistance is below a minimum level, the inverter will not interconnect with the utility. If the source-circuit conductor passes the test, the inverter will initiate its normal startup procedures.

It is common for ground-fault protection systems in nonisolated inverters to use what UL refers to as a functional ground, which is an intentional high-impedance connection between the ungrounded circuits that are being monitored and the equipment-grounding system. This connection exists for the sole purpose of fault detection. Since this intentional high-impedance path only exists when the inverter is operating, the PV system is not solidly grounded, according to the definition in Article 100 of the NEC. UL allows this strategy since it recognizes the role that these detection circuits play in reducing the potential for property damage due to stray ground-fault currents. An NRTL evaluates a non-isolated inverter?s ground-fault protection system, including any functional ground, as part of the product testing and listing.

As described previously, once the inverter is online, if it measures ground-fault current above the maximum level allowed or if it measures a sudden increase in fault current, even at very low levels, it will cease operating and indicate the presence of a fault.

Residual-current detector. Rather than using GFDI fuses to identify and interrupt ground-fault current as is typically done in isolated inverters, non-isolated inverters include a residual-current detector to continuously monitor the PV array. This detector circuit is similar to the ac ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) devices with which most electrical professionals are familiar. Like a GFCI, the residual-current detector in a non-isolated PV inverter is an electronic monitoring circuit that identifies ground-fault current before it reaches destructive levels. Unlike a common household GFCI, this device functions to identify fault currents that could cause damage to property and is not specifically set to levels to protect people from electrical shock.

Residual-current detectors constantly monitor the current in an operating PV power circuit, and associated software looks for any imbalance. The outgoing and returning current in the dc circuit should be offsetting?equal in intensity but opposite in direction. In an ideal circuit, the sum of these currents would equal zero. If the residual-current detector indicates that the currents are imbalanced, then the control logic interprets this as a fault. The most likely fault path is to ground through the equipment-grounding system, but stray current in any other parallel circuit path would also be detected. If an imbalance is indicated, then the inverter ceases to operate and indicates that a ground fault has occurred."

shortcircuit2

Thanks for the link SolarPro.

So system grounding is not required for non-isolated inverter's, but equipment grounding installed properly is important for the ground-fault protection to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.