Anyone Know What Type of Cable This Is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

Anyone know what type of cable this is? I know it is not Type W (it is only 14/3 15A) and it is not SJT. I believe it is SOOW but I thought the jacket looks a little dull for that. I thought SOOW had a glossy jacket. Also, does the round plug at the end of it have a specific name? Also, any recommendations on where to buy? Somebody on this forum left a link for internationalconfigs.com and I love that site, but it will not work for this.

powercable001.jpg

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Anyone know what type of cable this is? I know it is not Type W (it is only 14/3 15A) and it is not SJT. I believe it is SOOW but I thought the jacket looks a little dull for that. I thought SOOW had a glossy jacket. Also, does the round plug at the end of it have a specific..

Anything useful written or stamped on it? If not it may not be any listed type.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Kinda looks like what's called "Polar/Solar" outdoor cord, usually labeled as Type SEOW or SJEW. The jacket is a material called "t-prene", made to remain flexible in extreme cold and is also more sunlight resistant than most. It often comes in yellow on pre-made cordsets, but can be ordered in a lot of different colors in bulk reels.

Round fitting on the end??? You mean the cord cap? Your photo doesn't show enough to be useful but the one blade that is visible looks to be part of a twist lock configuration of some sort. Look at a NEMA twist lock cord cap configuration table.

http://www.powerfig.com/nema-locking-chart.aspx

fifty60

T-Prene could be considered a step below the SOOW cable right? The info I have found on the two is that SOOW is a "Thermoset" (rubber) material and SEOW and SJEW cable the the "TPE" (T-Prene?). From what I can find, SOOW is the superior cable across all categories.

No markings that I can read, all I have is the picture.

I did not think we could get a 15A plug with a twist lock configuration? Looking at the link I see NEMA L5-15P, definitely looks like a twist lock configuration.

fifty60

So SOOW cable is made from a purer rubber than Solar/Polar cable? What does the slick/glossy jacket imply?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
So SOOW cable is made from a purer rubber than Solar/Polar cable? What does the slick/glossy jacket imply?

Purer is definitely the wrong term to use for this. It is made from a "rubber" which is engineered (with different chemistry, production process, additives of whatever) for superior properties in the particular areas that are considered important for this use.

For example, an outer layer that is more flexible in cold weather and oil resistant might have less abrasion resistance, for example.

As a general rule of thumb the more separate "good" qualities something has, the more expensive it will be, but not "purer." :)

In some areas there are different desirable qualities for one purpose that are simply in direct conflict with qualities for other purposes.

Some examples:
Ultra-flexibility is desirable for welding cables, but is not so good in tray cable for use in ladder type trays.
Fine stranded wire is good for pulling but bad for terminating in standard fittings.
Which one is purer?

PS: The slick glossy jacket might be for abrasion resistance or for oil resistance. Or something else entirely.

Last edited:

templdl

If there isn't any marking on the cable is it even UL listed? You would think that it would have had a reference somewhere or it may be a very nice looking cord imported from somewhere. Was there a brand reference that I missed?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
If there isn't any marking on the cable is it even UL listed? You would think that it would have had a reference somewhere or it may be a very nice looking cord imported from somewhere. Was there a brand reference that I missed?

You can see but not read markings in the photo. I believe the OP stated that he does the it have the cord, only a description and the photo.

templdl

You can see but not read markings in the photo. I believe the OP stated that he does the it have the cord, only a description and the photo.

And??? I appears to be are very nice looking cord that is a copy of a legitimate UL listed cord as you would purchase from a flea market.
It looks as if there is an attempt at making a sulk purse out of a sows ear in order to justify a purchase. I must admit that it does look like a very nice cord though.

fifty60

Is a Woodhead plug a type of plug or just the Brand name? Are there certain characteristics that come with a Woodhead plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.