Detached Garage Disco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

2005 NEC...... I understand that a snap switch is allowed to be used as a disconnect for a detached garage being fed with a single branch circuit or a MWBC. Question....can a GFI receptacle be allowed as a disconnect? If not, what part of ART. 225 can I referance. Thanks for the help.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
No, because it isn't rated "Suitable for Use as Service Equipment" nor is it a snap switch. Those are your choices in 225.36.

225.38 could also be iffy (requirement that disconnect be indicating open/closed or on/off).

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't see why a gfci dead front could not be used but the code does say snap switch.

Dead Front GFCI's can be used as controllers but not as disconnects. They are also not considered indicating and it can be hard to tell if they are on or off. If the power were off to the building because of another reason such as utility failure it would be impossible to turn the service disconnect off.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Dead Front GFCI's can be used as controllers but not as disconnects. They are also not considered indicating and it can be hard to tell if they are on or off. If the power were off to the building because of another reason such as utility failure it would be impossible to turn the service disconnect off.

All of the GFCIs I have seen (limited) will still trip if the power is off when the test button is pushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.