Emergency generator room access/egress

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve holt

Can a legally required emergency generator be located in a room in which the only access in or out is through a roll up gate? The gate is 2 hour rated, and will automatically drop if the fusible link melts. If the door drops, the only way out (or in) is to manually lift the door (I am assuming from the inside). The OCP is only 1000A so it doesn't fall under the over 1200A rule, but it doesn't seem like a reasonable arrangement.

Can a legally required emergency generator be located in a room in which the only access in or out is through a roll up gate? The gate is 2 hour rated, and will automatically drop if the fusible link melts. If the door drops, the only way out (or in) is to manually lift the door (I am assuming from the inside). The OCP is only 1000A so it doesn't fall under the over 1200A rule, but it doesn't seem like a reasonable arrangement.

What is the voltage?? if its over 600 volts then the 1200A or more rule doesn't matter NEC 2008 110.33 (A)(3) PERSONNEL DOORS, They would still have to have a door with a panic bar to get out.

Last edited:

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

There is a requirement for an egress door that swings horizontally. "normal door"

I just re-read NEC 2008 110.26(C)(3). It says where the equipment rated 1200 A or more.... Just because you have a 1000amp OCP doesnt mean that the equipment is not rated more than that. I believe it is as most are that I have seen . The rating of equipment is a seperate issue from the rating of the OCP as it would leave room to upgrade or add to the system.

mgookin

And NFPA 101 is going to require the side swinging door as well as the building code.

You might be able to get that roll-up with an integrated side swinging door.

Status
Not open for further replies.