Non-metered service to a duplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

The prints show the service conductors comming off the primary transformer, under ground to a J-box and then to the main panels. They are not metered.
Since the first means of disconnect is at the units, does it have to be outside the unit or can it be run inside?
Please include ref. Thanks.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The prints show the service conductors comming off the primary transformer, under ground to a J-box and then to the main panels. They are not metered.
Since the first means of disconnect is at the units, does it have to be outside the unit or can it be run inside?
Please include ref. Thanks.

230.71(A)(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.
In the absence of a specific rule, I read the word "nearest" as meaning exactly that. That is you enter the building and go directly to the service disconnect. Many areas have rules that permit a specific amount of service conductor inside the building. I have seen numbers up to 15'.

Our local code requires all service conductors to be in rigid conduit and permits up to 10' inside the building.

Hendrix

In the absence of a specific rule, I read the word "nearest" as meaning exactly that. That is you enter the building and go directly to the service disconnect. Many areas have rules that permit a specific amount of service conductor inside the building. I have seen numbers up to 15'.

Our local code requires all service conductors to be in rigid conduit and permits up to 10' inside the building.

So, it can be unfused, and with no means of disconnect, until it reaches the main breaker in the basement adjacent to where it is entering? Keeping in mind it is a duplex.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So, it can be unfused, and with no means of disconnect, until it reaches the main breaker in the basement adjacent to where it is entering? Keeping in mind it is a duplex.
Assuming that the service conductors remain outside of the building, there is no limit on their length...you can wrap them around the building a couple of times if you would want to.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Assuming that the service conductors remain outside of the building, there is no limit on their length...you can wrap them around the building a couple of times if you would want to.

There could be code violations if the "shortest" route to the panel takes it through the other half of the duplex, but as long as it stays outside it is OK.

growler

I think I would be getting some clarification on this un-metered power thing. If it wasn't a duplex I would think they were going to use CTs and meter at the transformer but that's doubtfull at a duplex.

Here the power company would run direct buriel cable from the transformer to the meter base.They actually give you the dual head meter base and if it's close to back to back then a disconnect would not be needed.

When in doubt I always check with the AHJ and I would check on that un-metered thing also.

Prints have been known to be wrong more than power companies have been known to give away power.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I think you need to contact the POCO and the AHJ Some POCO's do not allow the Service Disc inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.