Panelboard GFCI code section

Status
Not open for further replies.

csoc64

Can someone please direct me to the code article which references the requirement for a dedicated GFCI for the main panelboard in a residence.

mwm1752

Here is a possibility of what your circumstance entails. Can't be sure without details on a vague question

215.10 Ground-Fault Protection of Equipment
Each feeder disconnect rated 1000 amperes or more and installed on solidly grounded wye electrical systems of more than 150 volts to ground, but not exceeding 600 volts phase to phase, shall be provided with ground-fault protection of equipment in accordance with the provisions of 230.95.

ceb58

Can someone please direct me to the code article which references the requirement for a dedicated GFCI for the main panelboard in a residence.

Here is a possibility of what your circumstance entails. Can't be sure without details on a vague question

215.10 Ground-Fault Protection of Equipment
Each feeder disconnect rated 1000 amperes or more and installed on solidly grounded wye electrical systems of more than 150 volts to ground, but not exceeding 600 volts phase to phase, shall be provided with ground-fault protection of equipment in accordance with the provisions of 230.95.

That would be one h*** of a house:jawdrop:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
:D

I was thinking the same thing.

Not out of the question but pretty rare for sure.

The more than 150 volts to ground alone makes residential use improbable unless there are customer owned transformers in the picture.
Maybe running 480 from one end of the house to the other to minimize voltage drop on the 1000 foot run? :)

csoc64

That would be one h*** of a house:jawdrop:
I think I inadvertently left out the word receptacle after GFCI. Think what I am referring to is what is considered a convenience receptacle, which you typically see installed with new or upgraded panels. The GFCI reference was just because I see most of them in basements.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think I inadvertently left out the word receptacle after GFCI. Think what I am referring to is what is considered a convenience receptacle, which you typically see installed with new or upgraded panels. The GFCI reference was just because I see most of them in basements.

I think you're looking for article section 210.8(A) and if that's the case it doesn't have to be a breaker in the panel.

Are you sure you're not talking about AFCI's? If so, look at 210.12

Roger

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Perhaps what you are seeing is a result of temporary service

590.6 Ground-Fault Protection for Personnel. Ground-fault protection for personnel for all temporary wiring installations shall be provided to comply with 590.6(A) and (B). This section shall apply only to temporary wiring installations used to supply temporary power to equipment used by personnel during construction, remodeling, maintenance, repair, or demolition of buildings, structures, equipment, or similar activities. This section shall apply to power derived from an electric utility company or from an on-site-generated power source.

(A) Receptacle Outlets. Temporary receptacle installations used to supply temporary power to equipment used by personnel during construction, remodeling, maintenance, repair, or demolition of buildings, structures, equipment, or similar activities shall comply with the requirements of 590.6(A) (1) through (A)(3), as applicable.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Can someone please direct me to the code article which references the requirement for a dedicated GFCI [receptacle] for the main panelboard in a residence.
As far as I know, there is no such requirement. 210.52 lists the receptacles required for a dwelling unit. It is good practice to install a convenience receptacle by the panelboard, though.

For what it's worth, my supervisor insists that the NEC requires a convenience receptacle in the vicinity of all panelboards, but he hasn't taken the time to look it up and give me an article number yet.

PetrosA

I think this came out of 210.52 (G)(1) which requires one receptacle per basement and garage. It was always easiest and cheapest to install (and inspect) that one required recept. at the panel.

Edit to add,

And since it's either in the garage or the basement (likely unfinished at time of final inspection) it would have to be GFCI protected.

My first boss ALWAYS installed a GFCI receptacle directly off of the panel whenever we did an upgrade/panel swap/or new house when the panel was located in a garage or basement.

For several years, I ass/u/me/d code required it .

NEC does not require it.

I think this came out of 210.52 (G)(1) which requires one receptacle per basement and garage. It was always easiest and cheapest to install (and inspect) that one required recept. at the panel.

Edit to add,

And since it's either in the garage or the basement (likely unfinished at time of final inspection) it would have to be GFCI protected.

Yep, It took me a couple of years before I figured out why he did it that way, but that it wasn't required to be right at the panel and if a receptacle already existed elsewhere I didn't need to add one.

mwm1752

If you look at my juridiction area it is not unusual --- Have had a residence 25,000 sq ft/ 3000 amps -- yes is one h----- of a house

mwm1752

New for NEC2014
Code Language
210.64 Electrical Service
Areas
At least one 125-volt, singlephase,15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed within 15 m (50 ft) of the electrical service equipment.
Exception: The receptacle outlet shall not be required to be installed in one- and two-family dwellings.

Residential exempt

Status
Not open for further replies.