Permanent vs. Temporary wiring for powertools in maintenance shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

We have a small machine maintenance shop in our facility. The shop has several table saws, grinder, drill presses. All of these machines came with plug in cords from the factory. They are all 120VAC and one is 208VAC.

Some of these machines were bolted down to improve stability and some are ok free standing. We were told by our superior that if the equipment is bolted down, it is considered a permanent installation and thus the machine will have to be hardwired instead of using the factory provided cord. If we don't want to do this then we have to not bolt down the machine.

This sounds unreasonable to me. He says that NEC code require hard wiring for permanent installation. My question is what article in the NEC required power tools to be hardwired. If a machine was made with a cord and pass all the UL, CSA..etc.. sold commercially for use by plug into a receptacle, taking it apart to hardwire it does not make sense.

For example, our 70" monitor is mounted permanently in the conference room, but we do not have to disassemble it to hardwire it via conduit to a CB.

Thank you.

Francis.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hi,

We were told by our superior that if the equipment is bolted down, it is considered a permanent installation and thus the machine will have to be hardwired instead of using the factory provided cord. If we don't want to do this then we have to not bolt down the machine.

This sounds unreasonable to me. He says that NEC code require hard wiring for permanent installation. My question is what article in the NEC required power tools to be hardwired. If a machine was made with a cord and pass all the UL, CSA..etc.. sold commercially for use by plug into a receptacle, taking it apart to hardwire it does not make sense.

For example, our 70" monitor is mounted permanently in the conference room, but we do not have to disassemble it to hardwire it via conduit to a CB.

Thank you.

Francis.

You are correct if the machine came with a factory cord and plug then you do not need to hardwire. You are not supposed to use extension cords though as they are for temporary use.

I have never heard such rediculousness.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with the others, removing the cord and hard wiring would likely cause a violation unless the equipment were listed to be connected that way. I've seen many window air conditioners and microwave/range hoods which were screwed in place that had cords on them.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
422.16 Flexible Cords. (A) General. Flexible cord shall be permitted (1) for the connection of appliances to facilitate their frequent interchange or to prevent the transmission of noise or vibration or (2) to facilitate the removal or disconnection of appliances that are fastened in place, where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance or repair and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection.

kwired

Electron manager
422.16 Flexible Cords. (A) General. Flexible cord shall be permitted (1) for the connection of appliances to facilitate their frequent interchange or to prevent the transmission of noise or vibration or (2) to facilitate the removal or disconnection of appliances that are fastened in place, where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance or repair and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection.
Good answer.:thumbsup:

Francis, NEC does not have a section on "power tools" they would fall in the "appliances" section.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

Good catch , I guess I should have looked that one up.
Any way I hope you finf s nice way to tell that guy to pound sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.