Dining Room outlets 20A circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In some areas it is not uncommon to find appliances such as warmers, coffee makers, etc being used in the dining area and, of course, a 20 amp circuit is more desirable for such loads.
Keep in mind the dining circuit can be a part of the kitchen small appliance branch circuits.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Why would you question it.
If it were up to me and no code I would do it that way.
People entertain. They have coffe makers , hot plates, Crock pots.
The worst thing you can have is a blown circuit during a party.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why would you question it.
If it were up to me and no code I would do it that way.
People entertain. They have coffe makers , hot plates, Crock pots.
The worst thing you can have is a blown circuit during a party.

I think in most cases there is rarely anything plugged into the dining room receptacles. In my 30 years here and a separate circuit on my dining room receptacles I have never had anything other than a vacuum plugged in on that circuit

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I think in most cases there is rarely anything plugged into the dining room receptacles. In my 30 years here and a separate circuit on my dining room receptacles I have never had anything other than a vacuum plugged in on that circuit

I guess you rarely entertain to the extent that my family does. I grew up where during the holidays and parties there were hot plates and crock pots. Yea if you don't have it you don't use it, That does not mean that you don't plan for it.

templdl

If I remember correctly a 20a circuit is good for 1920w continuous. Now take that an subtract the wattage of each appliance that you intend to plug into that circuit and see how far 1920w goes when you are having a party of a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Coffee pot, hot plates warmers, a roaster, etc.
That 1920w goes away real quick.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If I remember correctly a 20a circuit is good for 1920w continuous. Now take that an subtract the wattage of each appliance that you intend to plug into that circuit and see how far 1920w goes when you are having a party of a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Coffee pot, hot plates warmers, a roaster, etc.
That 1920w goes away real quick.

It does would you be better off without it. Maybe on the lighting circuit with all the recessed and other lights.
Bet that would go over great when you plug in too many cofffe pots or ... and the lights go out with a house load of guests

templdl

It does would you be better off without it. Maybe on the lighting circuit with all the recessed and other lights.
Bet that would go over great when you plug in too many cofffe pots or ... and the lights go out with a house load of guests
Most seem not to give it a second thought and then wonder why the food is getting cold and then discovered that the breaker had tripped some ago. The you scramble to look for other places to plug the appliances in only to find out that it is a receptacle on the same circuit.
I would like to ring the electrician neck who wired my home where he wired the great room that includes a dinner area with a single 20a circuit but also extended that same circuit into the kitchen.

finster1

Dining room circuit

Dining room circuit

:happyno:Sorry I asked guys, in my experience we always left all the cooking stuff in the kitchen and the dining room was where we dined. Guess to each his own. Also hot plates in an Italian heritage Household were sacrilegious, best would be a Sterno but usually you ate everything hot out of the oven and lots of courses.......There was never food left over to keep heating because it was all so good, hence the heck with hot plates.

iwire

Staff member
Can anyone explain to me the logic of requiring dining room to have 20a circuit wiring serving it.....

You never met my mom.

She and Dad used to host a lot of parties in the 60s-70s and would have coffee urns, hot plates, crock pots, fondue pots, etc in the dinning room.

Status
Not open for further replies.