Sub-feed lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ylmzm

I have a 400 Amp Square D main + meter combo (CSED). It looks like the image I attached. (Model SU3040D400CB)
Capture.JPG

It has two 200 Amp breakers. One is a disconnect for a remote subpanel, another is connected to the buss bar below it.

I plan to install a 200 Amp subpanel in the garage and another one in the house. The top disconnect will drive the house subpanel. I want to install sub-feed lugs at the bottom of the buss bar and connect the garage subpanel to those lugs. However, I could not find any square D product that can do what I want. They have some subfeed lug kits, but they seem to be installed at the top, it does not work for me.

http://static.schneider-electric.us/docs/Electrical Distribution/Pan elboards/NQ Lighting and Appliance Branch-Circuit Panelboard s/80043-729-01_trilingual.pdf

It would also be a waste of money to install a 200 Amp double pole breaker, since the garage subpanel already has its own main breaker.

Any idea how I can accomplish what I want? All I need is to tap into two phases of the buss bar with two lugs at the end.

templdl

I have a 400 Amp Square D main + meter combo (CSED). It looks like the image I attached. (Model SU3040D400CB)
View attachment 9175

It has two 200 Amp breakers. One is a disconnect for a remote subpanel, another is connected to the buss bar below it.
Remember that the bus must have the capacity for the added load.

I plan to install a 200 Amp subpanel in the garage and another one in the house. The top disconnect will drive the house subpanel. I want to install sub-feed lugs at the bottom of the buss bar and connect the garage subpanel to those lugs. However, I could not find any square D product that can do what I want. They have some subfeed lug kits, but they seem to be installed at the top, it does not work for me.

http://static.schneider-electric.us/docs/Electrical Distribution/Pan elboards/NQ Lighting and Appliance Branch-Circuit Panelboard s/80043-729-01_trilingual.pdf

It would also be a waste of money to install a 200 Amp double pole breaker, since the garage subpanel already has its own main breaker.

Any idea how I can accomplish what I want? All I need is to tap into two phases of the buss bar with two lugs at the end.

It's through feed lugs that you want. But you must have room for them for installation and bending space. As such ask SqD if there is provisions for them is order to do so.

I have two ideas. One is to remove the factory installed jumpers from the load side of the breaker to the lugs and just connect your feeder to the breaker directly (you didnt say if you need the bus in the combo for anything?) Another is to replace the lugs on the top of the bus with two hole lugs then you would have a set of lugs for your "feed thru". Some would argue both of these would be "listing violations". I cant speak for you AHJ or inspector, but I think these "listing violations" get pretty ridiculous. I say drilling a knockout is a "listing violation" then.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Get a different panel , I know there is a panel with what you want. maybe siemens.

As an add-on to electrofelon's idea, use two Polaris IT-250's.

http://www.galesburgelectric.com/NS...0-6-AWG.html?gclid=CJnM_I-kgroCFRPl7AodYxYAlw

Strip extra wire on the jumpers above the breaker busses. Pass the jumper through the IT-250 and back into its lug. Come off the other side of the IT-250 for the garage.

But, if it's a detached garage, I'd prefer to come off the left/meter side of the panel with three wires. Use the unlimited outdoor tap and service entrance rules.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
As an add-on to electrofelon's idea, use two Polaris IT-250's.

http://www.galesburgelectric.com/NS...0-6-AWG.html?gclid=CJnM_I-kgroCFRPl7AodYxYAlw

Strip extra wire on the jumpers above the breaker busses. Pass the jumper through the IT-250 and back into its lug. Come off the other side of the IT-250 for the garage.

But, if it's a detached garage, I'd prefer to come off the left/meter side of the panel with three wires. Use the unlimited outdoor tap and service entrance rules.

that would be modify of the listing for sure

ylmzm

More pictures

More pictures

Thanks everyone. Here are the actual images of the panel. It looks like what I need is called "feed-thru lugs", not sub-feed lugs. The idea of just removing the buss seems like a good option, I need to check it with the inspector I guess. This CSED is on the garage exterior wall. The garage subpanel will be on the opposite side of this wall. Garage is attached to the house.

photo 3.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 5.jpg

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I am sorry for bein curt earlier.
However since another panel from SqD has the part you want and seem to need. I would consider a purchase of a second panel and swaping the guts.

I have not looked but if the buss is rated for a max 200 a sub feed breaker you can install one of those. It would probably cheaper.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Does the garage NEED 200Amp feeder??? Or you just WANT to get a 200Amp feeder to the garage?

If it does not NEED it then just feed the garage with 100Amp feeder and you can still leave your 200Amp rated panel in the garage. You will need to replace the 200A rated main at the garage with 100Amps.

But again, you MUST have a 200A rated feeder???

Status
Not open for further replies.