Worst breaker panel location contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Home owner lived there 10 years and had no idea yet was really understanding when I asked her if I could thrash the kitchen.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
My vote is for the panel lying on its back out in the yard.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I want to know what happens when it rains or when the sprinklers go on. I can't imagine those breakers actually work anymore.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
If ever there were a contest for the worst breaker panel location, this one has a strong chance of being the winner. Can you imagine doing a service upgrade or even adding a branch circuit ?

wished i't taken a picture, but i did a service call to an apartment in long beach.
bad neighborhood. propane torch on dining room table, and glass pipes. :happysad:

the sub panel was in the hallway, behind a 200 gallon aquarium.
there was about a foot between the face of the aquarium, and
the far side of the hallway.

before setting and filling the thing, they had thoughtfully removed the cover to
the panel, so if you needed to get in there to reset a breaker, or fix something,
you could look thru the aquarium, while reaching over the top to work on it.
there was about 3" between back of aquarium, and wall.

shoulda got a photo, but occupants were a bit sketchy, so i went down to the
van to get a tool, tossed everything in back, and got the hell out of there.

drove away, removed ad from craigslist, moved on... :p

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Home owner lived there 10 years and had no idea yet was really understanding when I asked her if I could thrash the kitchen.

Query on your technique to find the hidden panel - just a big magnet, or something else?

Son's place got burgled, cops said the burglars use ultrasound to see if there were any hidden wall safes, etc. Cops said an ultrasound giveaway is the smears of gel on the walls.

kwired

Electron manager
Query on your technique to find the hidden panel - just a big magnet, or something else?

Son's place got burgled, cops said the burglars use ultrasound to see if there were any hidden wall safes, etc. Cops said an ultrasound giveaway is the smears of gel on the walls.

My guess is raceway entering the back possibly made him suspicious of where does it go?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here's one a friend in Texas sent me from a general contractor that did his deck, but used as an example of bad decisions...

View attachment 9173
View attachment 9174
If there was actually a contest I think this would take the lead. There's been a lot of weird photos posted here but I couldn't even imagine, in my wildest dreams, someone installing a breaker panel in the ground. Until now and aside from the obvious danger, I thought it was impossible to be that stupid.:slaphead:

mgookin

Fuse box in the shower

Fuse box in the shower

When I started as a building inspector in the early 1990's there were only two other inspectors working there, both old timers. One was electric and one was plumbing.

My first year on the job one of our other new inspectors got a call from a lady saying she had to unplug the water heater in her apartment to take a shower so she wouldn't get electrocted. I went with him and we found a fuse box in the shower.

We had a polaroid of that in the office for years. We always had fun trying to figure out if our electric inspector did that install as a kid and our plumbing inspector came behind him with the shower install, or vice versa.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If there was actually a contest I think this would take the lead. There's been a lot of weird photos posted here but I couldn't even imagine, in my wildest dreams, someone installing a breaker panel in the ground. Until now and aside from the obvious danger, I thought it was impossible to be that stupid.:slaphead:

I cannot imagine what possesed somone to place a panel in the ground.

I mean did the guy ever see one done like this before?

templdl

Here is my all time favorite sub panel. Take you back to 1950 when this thing was thought to be a good idea...someone is filling the sink to do dishes and the phone rings...sink has no overflow except to well overflow :lol:

IMG_0158_zpsf1774b6f.jpg
Never, ever in my wildest dreams did I think of this option. Did you ever stop to think that they designed the width of the cabinet for that panel?
Thanks

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It was in fact a GE not sure model ect. Was a complete stainless counter with integrated outlets, dishwasher and stove and disposal... not gfi protected either :lol:
Under the sink was the only place in the counter unit they could put the panel without losing cupboard space. :)
I have seen breaker panels for commercial dishwasher, etc. mounted under stainless counter/sink units, but at least they were behind a drip edge so that water would not be rolling directly into them. :)

Did it look as if there may have been any kind of cover over it originally? I do not see any mounting holes in the picture.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
... Until now and aside from the obvious danger, I thought it was impossible to be that stupid.:slaphead:

It was in Texas, what more can I say? I'm sure it was not a licensed contractor, in fact most likely not an electrician at all, just someone picked up at the Home Despot parking lot who would do it for some cervesas and a few bucks. That's how most of this stuff happens.

kwired

Electron manager
Never, ever in my wildest dreams did I think of this option. Did you ever stop to think that they designed the width of the cabinet for that panel?
Thanks
I'm pretty sure the entire assembly including the sink, base cabinet, disposer, maybe a dishwasher or other appliances/accessories were designed to fit together and sold as a unit. I doubt the panelboard portion of it was sold independently other than maybe to be intended as replacement parts for this assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.