extra spare leg required to ceiling box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tld38

Hello to all! Just need some advice on installing a cable assembly to light box in ceiling. I remember hearing something about an extra leg required to a ceiling box for lighting. regardless of whether you use it or not. So, in essence I would be required to run a 12/3 to ceiling box, in case they ever wanted to install a paddle fan. box is listed for fan support. Can,t find code section if there is one. Thanks !

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Take a look at 314.27(C). If you bring the extra switched conductor up to the ceiling outlet then the box is required to be fan rated.

ceb58

Hello to all! Just need some advice on installing a cable assembly to light box in ceiling. I remember hearing something about an extra leg required to a ceiling box for lighting. regardless of whether you use it or not. So, in essence I would be required to run a 12/3 to ceiling box, in case they ever wanted to install a paddle fan. box is listed for fan support. Can,t find code section if there is one. Thanks !

You are not required to run the 12/3 to the box. But if you do run it and there is a spare then the box must be listed for a fan.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Take a look at 314.27(C). If you bring the extra switched conductor up to the ceiling outlet then the box is required to be fan rated.

Just to add to this, this was added to the 2011. It was not required before then.
So if you are not under the 2011 it's not required.

Cavie

The requirement for a neutral at a switch is for the electronics involved in remote and dimming switches and nothing more. It is not three wires at the switch. It is required hot, switch leg and neutral (for electronics). To date light fixtures only require Switched hot and neutral. This is subject to future change as electronics in our business evolves.

The requirement for a neutral at a switch is for the electronics involved in remote and dimming switches and nothing more. It is not three wires at the switch. It is required hot, switch leg and neutral (for electronics). To date light fixtures only require Switched hot and neutral. This is subject to future change as electronics in our business evolves.

Not sure, but I think only neutral is "required" by code..... must provide the hot and switch leg only if we prefer it to be operational:p.

kwired

Electron manager
That is the answer to a different question than what the OP asks, and yes the hot and load wires are also necessary if you want it to work:)

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I understand 314.27(C) requirements, but 422.18 states if the paddle fan will be supported independently of the box then the box does not have to fan rated.

Or we have to install fan rated box. PERIOD!!!

kwired

Electron manager
Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

You need to re-read the OP. He was asking about if you run a spare conductor that could be switched, if the box at the ceiling outlet had to be fan rated.

Has nothing to do with the requirements for running a neutral to a switch.

Edit: I re-read it:ashamed1: and seems he is asking the question in reverse. If you had a fan rated box installed, do you have to run a third/spare conductor that could be switched. That is not required, but if you run the 3-wire you have to install a fan rated box. (2011 and later).

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
The 2011 code makes sense to me.
add the wire put in a fan box.

Though I think it is a good idea and have done that many times before it was a requirement, I still think it is a design issue and has no business being a code requirement. You can always install a fan box later or support it independent of the box. Even if there is no spare conductor, someone may want a fan installed someday, and if you use one with a remote control, the extra wire generally isn't necessary either.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Though I think it is a good idea and have done that many times before it was a requirement, I still think it is a design issue and has no business being a code requirement. You can always install a fan box later or support it independent of the box. Even if there is no spare conductor, someone may want a fan installed someday, and if you use one with a remote control, the extra wire generally isn't necessary either.

Look I don't like a lot of the code also.
However why would you have a second switch leg in a ceiling box. ( other than two circuit track)

John120/240

However why would you have a second switch leg in a ceiling box. ( other than two circuit track)

For example a tall vaulted ceiling. Chandelier in the middle of the room & eyeball cans at the fire place. Run 14-3 to the chandelier use black & white. Red & white continues to the eyeball cans. You can save a separate 14-2 to the can light.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
For example a tall vaulted ceiling. Chandelier in the middle of the room & eyeball cans at the fire place. Run 14-3 to the chandelier use black & white. Red & white continues to the eyeball cans. You can save a separate 14-2 to the can light.

But is this code item speaking for your scenario. I would think not as you are not having a second switch leg for use at that location . i would call that a feed through conductor not a switched conductor. It becomes a switched conductor at the first point it is used.

Just my take.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

Don't know if it is different in the NEC but the CAEC states:

Where spare. separately switched. ungrounded
conductors arc provided to a ceiling mounted out let box,
in a location acceptable for a ceiling-suspended (paddh:)
fan in . ingle or multi-family dwellings~ the outlet box or
outlet box system shall be listed for sole support of a

Spare is the KEY word. In your case the wire is not a spare it is being used by the eyeball.

kwired

Electron manager
Well one could someday feed a second luminaire instead of a fan. Again design issue not a safety issue. When someone does decide to install the fan they do need to support it properly - that is a code and safety issue at that time. I have thanked myself before for installing a fan box. I have also had to either install fan boxes or come up with alternate support method. I saw it as just something that happens and wasn't that big of a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.