Sump pump receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc1060

Good Morning,
I am installing a dedicated branch circuit for a sump pump. Does the the code(the jurisdiction I am working in is using the 2005 NEC) require a GFCI protection for this receptacle. If I install a single as opposed to a duplex is this protection required.:?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
If the sump pump was in an unfinished basement in a dwelling unit, then I'd say a duplex would require GFCI protection, but a single receptacle would not per 210.8(A)(5) ex no. 2.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the sump pump was in an unfinished basement in a dwelling unit, then I'd say a duplex would require GFCI protection, but a single receptacle would not per 210.8(A)(5) ex no. 2.

I am not sure I agree with this. Unless the sump pump receptacle is in the dedicated space for the sump (wherever that may be), then this excep. would not apply. My understanding is that this exception was meant for refrigerators or appliances that covered the receptacles. I know it doesn't say that but explain what the dedicated space for the appliance would be if that is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.