Replace Main Breaker with UL Listed in UL Listed Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanland

Is it a violation of the panel UL listing to replace the main breaker (defective) with another manufacturers UL listed main breaker?

This is a 400A CL320 meter main with a meter socket and two 200A 2-pole breakers that are defective. Manufacturer of breaker cannot supply functioning breaker. Want to replace with Square D. Manufacturer will make pan and dead-front to accommodate.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is it a violation of the panel UL listing to replace the main breaker (defective) with another manufacturers UL listed main breaker?

This is a 400A CL320 meter main with a meter socket and two 200A 2-pole breakers that are defective. Manufacturer of breaker cannot supply functioning breaker. Want to replace with Square D. Manufacturer will make pan and dead-front to accommodate.
If a second manufacturer offers a breaker specifically classified as a replacement for use in the first manufacturer's panel, you will be OK. (Although it may appear to violate the instruction from the first manufacturer to use only their branded replacement parts. UL has a problem getting that straight. :))

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

UL lists some breakers that can be installed in panels other than the manufacturer. Whether you can find such a listed breaker or not is iffy. There are a lot of places that sell used electrical equipment that might have what you need.

Personally, I would be very suspicious of a single panel where two 200A CBs had failed.

Are these breakers part of the meter assembly? I am not even sure they are listed at all. If the manufacturer of such an assembly says it is Ok to install some other breaker than the original one, I would be inclined to take them on their word for it.

beanland

Replacement Parts

Replacement Parts

The manufacturer is fabricating the parts (pan and dead front) to install the new breakers. Since the breakers are wired to the meter socket, we will remove the stock breakers and install new manufacturer-supplied parts. I think we really have no listing issue to worry about. It would be like adjusting the trip settings on an electronic breaker does not invalidate the listing on switchgear. Replacing a 10kA breaker with a 22kA breaker would not invalidate a listing (doing the reverse might.)

beanland

Magnetic Element problem

Magnetic Element problem

UL lists some breakers that can be installed in panels other than the manufacturer. Whether you can find such a listed breaker or not is iffy. There are a lot of places that sell used electrical equipment that might have what you need.

Personally, I would be very suspicious of a single panel where two 200A CBs had failed.

Are these breakers part of the meter assembly? I am not even sure they are listed at all. If the manufacturer of such an assembly says it is Ok to install some other breaker than the original one, I would be inclined to take them on their word for it.

The problem with the 200A MCB is that the magnetic element is tripping well below spec, ~400A rather than 1200A. We have an inrush that would not be a problem if the magnetic element tripped at 1200A but it causes the breaker to trip.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The problem with the 200A MCB is that the magnetic element is tripping well below spec, ~400A rather than 1200A. We have an inrush that would not be a problem if the magnetic element tripped at 1200A but it causes the breaker to trip.

Could be something as simple as worn parts in the trip lever mechanism, or failure of a spring over age.
If both were subjected to the same conditions (temperature extremes, too many open/close cycles) I could see both of them going bad at roughly the same time.

kwired

Electron manager
Why not just replace them with the same type?? What are they?

He did say they are not available or something similar to that meaning. But if having another manufacturer put something together for this, I would think the cost would be high enough that one could look into reputable remanufactured originals - I say this knowing how you feel about most remanufactured smaller frame units. Manufacturers of this kind of thing do not make a one of a kind item very often on a small item without a price tag that makes you consider opting for standard equipment that they make by the thousands at a lower cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.