RJ45 jack installed into drop-ceiling tile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATES!: 10.9.13

UPDATES!: 10.9.13

So FD inspected found that wire draped on drop tiles was NOT code, he found that the wall plates are required to have a Protection Box enclosure on the back side of tile, (keeps dust, insulation, connection trauma to a minimum) He stated that the wall plate also needs to be affixed to the ceiling tile by mechanical means: screws, rivets, bolt....

As far as being a major violation he said no codes all really govern Data cables but he gets a bit of distance when it comes to over-all safeness to EMS responders, and the professionals who are required to work on a buildings infrastructure.

As far as the jack being 8' high well he said take a picture and anonymously send that to the ADA compliance office.... "They like these projects" .....

I find it frustrating that as a tenant who pays additional rent to have building maintained internet, that A. a simple project was not done right and B. another "industry professional" would do a hack job..... these types of crew are what give installers bad names and cheap prices... *shakes-head*

THANK YOU FOR ALL WHO COMMENTED!

My/ Our Background:

[I own/ operate a Production company we specialize in Light/Sound/Video system solutions for concerts, tours, private contracts... However we found ourselves increasingly being asked to service and or install product... As of last year 90% of Pro-audio/lighting/video has gone base 10/100 and "Net-worked/ net-workable" we are now placing custom runs of Cat6 to provide security camera, audio systems, video systems, and even lighting controls systems. Although we are not your standard Installer we still follow the same laws, regulations and professional practices.]

Ohms law

A new "installer" low balled the building management, they promosed a 1 day install we have now endured 5 days of install, they are not following any NEC guide lines, no permit either... Reasons why im inquiring about wall plate location: They have drilled a hole into the drop ceiling tile, punched a RJ45 wall plate terminal then crammed the plate-jack between the tile and the tile-track, there is no box to protect the wiring, no support of the cat5 wire, it is in a NON-Plenum space... However the installer did not use plenum rated cable either... the jack plate is just crammed between the tile and the track no screws, rivets or other means of securing..... there are 36 offices in the building all of which are now wired the same way !!! not to mention the tile is located 8' off the floor the only way to access the T-1 line is through this rj45 jack on the ceiling tile!!!! looking for code section the deals with this, so i can have a talk with the installer...

Thank You,
Joel

The lack of Workmanship is a code violation Is it not. Maybe this doesn't apply to low voltage.
Article 110.12 MECHANICAL EXECUTION OF WORK

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You're getting your panties in a wad for nothing. Get used to this kind of work, it's the way this country is going. Few people know or care about quality and workmanship anymore. The LV guys who do will be going out of business.

-Hal

hurk27

The lack of Workmanship is a code violation Is it not. Maybe this doesn't apply to low voltage.
Article 110.12 MECHANICAL EXECUTION OF WORK

Unfortunately 110.12 is ambiguous and has a lack of definition that makes it unenforceable in states that have not edited it and added a definition to go by for enforcement, with out the definition there is no standard that a law enforcement (which is what an inspector is) can go by to enforce it.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
not to mention the tile is located 8' off the floor the only way to access the T-1 line is through this rj45 jack on the ceiling tile!!!! looking for code section the deals with this, so i can have a talk with the installer...
Thank You,
Joel

about your only thing that may snag this guy is the ADA compliance.

as was mentioned by others, they like chew toys like this one.
the fun part is, the muppet will have to repull it all if he gets dinged.

for what it's worth, i'd a bid it at $125 a drop, in cat 6, punched down
on both ends and certified, and that's on the low side, so this guy
musta been down in the weeds somewhere.

so your pricing was good.... the property management fellow was
behaving as they all do when their rent rolls are a third empty.. :(

signs of the times.....

Status
Not open for further replies.