Meter base ampacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Got a call today from an individual looking for someone to finish electrical work that was started by another contractor.Seems as though other company was fired because of their inability to return and finish the job in a timely manner. With that being said I looked over the work that was done so far and it appeared to be neat. The owner shows me a detached garage that was also wired and provisions for a hot tub. When I get to the service(exterior) I find a 200A 120/240V single phase U/G meter base, it's feeding a 200A MB panel in the house and a 100A MB panel in the garage. The previous contractor appears to have added dual bolt on lugs to the load side of the socket and treated the garage run as under gound service conductors. The inspection tag on the base says approved. What am I missing here, is not the socket undersized for the connected loads that are already wired? Is changing the load side lug configuration acceptable? Thanks.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Did not get to that point.
230.40 Number of Service-EntranceConductor Sets

Each service drop, set of overhead service conductors, set of
underground service conductors, or service lateral shall sup-
ply only one set of service-entrance conductors.

Exception No. 3: A single-family dwelling unit and its ac-
cessory structures shall be permitted to have one set of
service-entrance conductors run to each from a single ser-
vice drop, set of overhead service conductors, set of under-
ground service conductors, or service lateral.

A lot of electricians don't know about this exception, and most of the ones that do get hassled by inspectors.

nizak

Just a rough estimate from the sq ft and remembering seeing range, dryer, built in oven, 2 condensors and outdoor tub 145A give or take. I don't know what the garage will be used for, it could have 1 keyless and a recep or compressor, welder, etc etc.

jumper

Just a rough estimate from the sq ft and remembering seeing range, dryer, built in oven, 2 condensors and outdoor tub 145A give or take. I don't know what the garage will be used for, it could have 1 keyless and a recep or compressor, welder, etc etc.

Could be overloaded, but without a calc...............innocent till proven guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.