110.26(C) Electrical Layout Question, Smaller Panelboard Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question regarding the layout of electrical closets according to Article 110.26(C) Entrance to and Egress From Workspace.

I have a 208V, 3ph, 4w 2500A main service switch board. it is over 6 feet long and it is L shaped. I understand the requirements of 110.26(C)(2)(a)&(b) however....

I would like to install one door in my electrical closet. I can maintain double workspace (6ft) in front of all my equipment and I can located the door more than 3 feet away from my 1200A, 6foot switchboard.

Now the question....

Do the requirements of 110.26(C)(2)(b) require even a 100A panel to be located 3ft away from the egress door as well?

I interpret the code to mean the requirements of 110.26(C)(2) only apply to the Large Equipment and not smaller equipment located in the electrical closet.

Attached I have located a panel within 3ft of the door to illustrate my point.

810ewCQfig1.jpg

mwm1752

Not all equipment in electrical rooms have the same clearances. The 100 amp panel 30" wide 3' in front and is not part of the large equipment.

Last edited:
Not all equipment in electrical rooms have the same clearances. The 100 amp panel 30" wide 3' in front and is not part of the large equipment.

I have been told that I need to make sure the door was 3 feet away from both the switchboard and the panel. However the room is not wide enough to be 3 feet from both.

you don't believe the 100A panelboard needs to maintain the 110.26(C)(2)(b) clearance?

baddriver

I agree with mwm1752.

I believe 110.26(C)(2)(b) only refers to large equipment. A smaller panelboard would be covered under 110.26(A)(2) and require working space width of 30" or the width of the equipment, whichever is greater.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I agree with mwm1752.

I believe 110.26(C)(2)(b) only refers to large equipment. A smaller panelboard would be covered under 110.26(A)(2) and require working space width of 30" or the width of the equipment, whichever is greater.

The critical point being that the distance from the door for large equipment is based on hazard rather than working space. The doorway does not restrict the working space. Indeed there are situations where the working space clearance is only there with the door open or only with the door closed, Either of those is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.