ARC fault breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toros

Hi,
Code requires us to provide arc type breaker on circuit feeding dining room receptacles
also, on the other hand, it says dining room receptacle shall be supplied by kitchen small appliance circuits (GFCIs)

How would you do this

Can you mix GFCIs with arc fault breaker????

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Hi,
Code requires us to provide arc type breaker on circuit feeding dining room receptacles
also, on the other hand, it says dining room receptacle shall be supplied by kitchen small appliance circuits (GFCIs)

How would you do this

Can you mix GFCIs with arc fault breaker????
So far, the consensus is that you will have to combine an AFCI breaker with a GFCI receptacle as the first receptacle in line or combine a GFCI breaker with an AFCI receptacle. Or a dead front GFCI with an AFCI receptacle, I suppose.
A lot depends on whether the GFCI component in some AFCI breakers meets the leakage current threshold to allow it to count as GFCI protection. Right now I do not think it does. And there are now AFCI breakers without any GFCI function at all. :(

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Yes dining room has to be AFCI protected. GFCI receptacle in the kitchen works fine on a AFCI circuit.

If you are worried about a GFCI on an AFCI circuit, then just install another 20A SABC for the dining room.

Toros

Balcony GFCI outlet on bed room circuit

Balcony GFCI outlet on bed room circuit

So far, the consensus is that you will have to combine an AFCI breaker with a GFCI receptacle as the first receptacle in line or combine a GFCI breaker with an AFCI receptacle. Or a dead front GFCI with an AFCI receptacle, I suppose.
A lot depends on whether the GFCI component in some AFCI breakers meets the leakage current threshold to allow it to count as GFCI protection. Right now I do not think it does. And there are now AFCI breakers without any GFCI function at all. :(

How about GFCIs in apart. balcony.
Can I install them on end of line of circuits suppling bed room receptacles which are protected through arc-fault circ.breakers??????

Status
Not open for further replies.