210.63 Receptacle by the A/C unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
[h=1]210.63 Heating, Air-Conditioning, and Refrigeration
Equipment Outlet. A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20- ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible
location for the servicing of heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 7.5 m (25 ft) of the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment disconnecting means.

[/h]A receptacle is within the 10' of the A/C condenser but in the dwelling will satisfy this rule?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
[h=1]210.63 Heating, Air-Conditioning, and Refrigeration
Equipment Outlet. A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20- ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible
location for the servicing of heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 7.5 m (25 ft) of the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment disconnecting means.

[/h]A receptacle is within the 10' of the A/C condenser but in the dwelling will satisfy this rule?

On the other side of the exterior wall would not be considered accessible.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
+1.t
Requiring a portable cord to be run through a door or window does not meet the intent.

Who really knows the intent but I do agree with you. Basically it is not on the same level, IMO. It probably should say something like on the outside or something to the effect of what you wrote above.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
+1.t
Requiring a portable cord to be run through a door or window does not meet the intent.

What is the intent? Not using longer than necessary extension cord? If the extension cord is used temporary through a door way, it is a violation?

On the other side of the exterior wall would not be considered accessible.

Accessible (as applied to equipment). Admitting close approach; not guarded by locked doors, elevation, or other effective means.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If no one is home and the door is locked how can the A/C guy get to the receptacle?

iwire

Staff member
What is the intent? Not using longer than necessary extension cord? If the extension cord is used temporary through a door way, it is a violation?

Accessible (as applied to equipment). Admitting close approach; not guarded by locked doors, elevation, or other effective means.

That is a fight you would have to take up with the AHJ.

I think it is clear the outlet has to be outside with the unit.

Nycedreemz

It honestly doesn't do much in the way of cutting cost but, i was taught to just run one through the wall wherever the ac guys set the pad. that way there is always direct access to power for a service tech.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
It honestly doesn't do much in the way of cutting cost but, i was taught to just run one through the wall wherever the ac guys set the pad. that way there is always direct access to power for a service tech.

The cost is not the issue. I personally always install outdoor by the unit.

It is one of those code sections that makes me wonder.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Nothing in the rule requires that the receptacle be "accessible", let alone "readily accessible". I do agree that the intent is that it be outside on the same level as the unit, but the wording could use some work.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Nothing in the rule requires that the receptacle be "accessible", let alone "readily accessible". I do agree that the intent is that it be outside on the same level as the unit, but the wording could use some work.

Don,

it does require the receptacle to be accessible.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
210.63 Heating, Air-Conditioning, and Refrigeration Equipment Outlet. A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible location for the servicing of heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 7.5 m (25 ft) of the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment disconnecting means.

Status
Not open for further replies.