Was allowed on a building. (NEC)
But then thru out years have seen many
buildings with more than one.
I kinda rationalized it as it wasn't ok for me
To do but it was ok for the other guy.
And it wasn't what you knew but who you
Knew.

Is that what your bringing up?

General rule is one service in a building, there are exceptions. One service can have 1 to 6 disconnecting means, plus some exceptions.
230.2 Number of Services.
A building or other structure served shall be supplied by only one service unless permitted in 230.2(A) through (D). For the purpose of 230.40, Exception No. 2 only, underground sets of conductors, 1/0 AWG and larger, running to the same location and connected together at their supply end but not connected together at their load end shall be considered to be supplying one service.
(A) Special Conditions. Additional services shall be permitted to supply the following:
(1) Fire pumps
(2) Emergency systems
(3) Legally required standby systems
(4) Optional standby systems
(5) Parallel power production systems
(6) Systems designed for connection to multiple sources of supply for the purpose of enhanced reliability
(B) Special Occupancies. By special permission, additional services shall be permitted for either of the following:
(1) Multiple-occupancy buildings where there is no available space for service equipment accessible to all occupants
(2) A single building or other structure sufficiently large to make two or more services necessary
(C) Capacity Requirements. Additional services shall be permitted under any of the following:
(1) Where the capacity requirements are in excess of 2000 amperes at a supply voltage of 600 volts or less
(2) Where the load requirements of a single-phase installation are greater than the serving agency normally supplies through one service
(3) By special permission
(D) Different Characteristics. Additional services shall be permitted for different voltages, frequencies, or phases, or for different uses, such as for different rate schedules.
(E) Identification. Where a building or structure is supplied by more than one service, or any combination of branch circuits, feeders, and services, a permanent plaque or directory shall be installed at each service disconnect location denoting all other services, feeders, and branch circuits supplying that building or structure and the area served by each. See 225.37.

If you do not have fire pumps, emergency systems, certain standby systems, multiple occupancy buildings(this one gets more complicated sometimes), different characteristics such as different voltages, number of phases, different frequency, etc., or just a really big service that can not be supplied through one service for some reason , then yes one building one service. Read through there carefully. One service can also have up to six sets of underground conductors that tie together at supply but land in six different service disconnecting means - but they must still be grouped together. It says nothing about how many sets of service entrance conductors can attach to a service drop, but you are still limited to six disconnecting means. And like I said earlier, the drop is often on the supply side of the "service point" and is not covered by NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.