Temporary site power GEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

After reviewing article 590, I cant find anywhere where they require any type of GEC. Do these temporary installations ever require more then a equipment ground if there is only a GFCI mounted on a 4x4 post?

jumper

After reviewing article 590, I cant find anywhere where they require any type of GEC. Do these temporary installations ever require more then a equipment ground if there is only a GFCI mounted on a 4x4 post?

A GES may be omitted for a single branch circuit serving a structure,

250.32 Buildings or Structures Supplied by a Feeder(s)
or Branch Circuit(s).
(A) Grounding Electrode. Building(s) or structure(s) supplied
by feeder(s) or branch circuit(s) shall have a grounding
electrode or grounding electrode system installed in
accordance with Part III of Article 250. The grounding
electrode conductor(s) shall be connected in accordance
with 250.32(B) or (C). Where there is no existing grounding
electrode, the grounding electrode(s) required in 250.50
shall be installed.
Exception: A grounding electrode shall not be required
where only a single branch circuit, including a multiwire
branch circuit, supplies the building or structure and the
branch circuit includes an equipment grounding conductor
for grounding the normally non?current-carrying metal
parts of equipment.

Npstewart

Very familiar with that code section. I just was surprised it was referred to or covered in 590. I think the local POCO requires it though, I guess I will review their instructions to verify. Thanks for your input!

kwired

Electron manager

Very familiar with that code section. I just was surprised it was referred to or covered in 590. I think the local POCO requires it though, I guess I will review their instructions to verify. Thanks for your input!

You said this is a "GFCI mounted on a 4x4 post."

Why would POCO have any requirement past the service disconnecting means?

You do need a GES for a temp service, it may not say anything in 590, but chapters 1-4 apply to temp wiring unless modified in 590.

More specific to your question, you do not need a GES for separate structure supplied by a single branch circuit in chapters 1-4, and there is nothing additional in 590 to require so either.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You said this is a "GFCI mounted on a 4x4 post."

Why would POCO have any requirement past the service disconnecting means?

You do need a GES for a temp service, it may not say anything in 590, but chapters 1-4 apply to temp wiring unless modified in 590.

More specific to your question, you do not need a GES for separate structure supplied by a single branch circuit in chapters 1-4, and there is nothing additional in 590 to require so either.
But if you get the power from a POCO drop or a generator, there will be some point at which you have either a service or an SDS rather than just a single branch circuit, even if you only ultimately connect only a single branch circuit to it.

The language of the code presumes that the single branch circuit is coming from a source that already has a code-required GES installed.

kwired

Electron manager
But if you get the power from a POCO drop or a generator, there will be some point at which you have either a service or an SDS rather than just a single branch circuit, even if you only ultimately connect only a single branch circuit to it.

The language of the code presumes that the single branch circuit is coming from a source that already has a code-required GES installed.

Correct, OP did not mention what this receptacle was supplied from. If a GES is required it will be upstream from the receptacle that he did mention.

OP also did not mention whether this is supplied from a "temporary service", or if it is just a "temporary receptacle" supplied from some non temporary source.

jumper

Correct, OP did not mention what this receptacle was supplied from. If a GES is required it will be upstream from the receptacle that he did mention.

OP also did not mention whether this is supplied from a "temporary service", or if it is just a "temporary receptacle" supplied from some non temporary source.

Good points, I assumed:slaphead: a branch circuit from a grounded service/panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.