Pull box sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunuelbresson

Hi,

I have a pull box with 6 x 4" raceways entering from the top and exiting from the back.

Here are my calculations please correct me :

Top to bottom: 6x4"+4" = 28"
Back to front: 6x4" + 4" = 28"

Entry to exit point distance: 6x4" = 24"

So I need a 28" high 28" deep box. Width doesn't matter.

Am I correct?

bunuelbresson

I probably have to add the dimensions of the 5 additional conduits to the calculation :

Top to bottom: 6x4"+4" + 4" + 4" + 4" + 4" = 44" ???
Back to front: 6x4" + 4" + 4" + 4" + 4" + 4" = 44" ???

Entry to exit point distance: 6x4" = 24"

bunuelbresson

Ptonsparky and Jumper thanks for the reference.

In that case the cables in the conduit are 750Kcmil.

So since the front side (opposite to the Conduit exit point) is removable, then the width of the pull box is as follows:

biggest raceway size + 6 times the diameter of the biggest conductor

4" + 6 x 0.866"= 9.2"

So the box should be :

From top to bottom = 6 x 4" + 4" + 4" + 4" + 4" + 4" = 44"
From back to front = 4" + 6 x 0.866" = 9.2"

Correct?

Thanks

Ptonsparky and Jumper thanks for the reference.

In that case the cables in the conduit are 750Kcmil.

So since the front side (opposite to the Conduit exit point) is removable, then the width of the pull box is as follows:

biggest raceway size + 6 times the diameter of the biggest conductor

4" + 6 x 0.866"= 9.2"

So the box should be :

From top to bottom = 6 x 4" + 4" + 4" + 4" + 4" + 4" = 44"
From back to front = 4" + 6 x 0.866" = 9.2"

Correct?

Thanks

Here is my understanding: because of the exception you ignore everything above the exception. Thus all you have to comply with is the "distance between raceway entries enclosing the same conductor shall not be less than 6 times the trade size of the smaller raceway" which in your case is 24 inches. You could zig zag (not use corresponding entry and exits) to get away with a slightly smaller box if you had to. Oh, and 8 inches deep.

bunuelbresson

Here is my understanding: because of the exception you ignore everything above the exception. Thus all you have to comply with is the "distance between raceway entries enclosing the same conductor shall not be less than 6 times the trade size of the smaller raceway" which in your case is 24 inches. You could zig zag (not use corresponding entry and exits) to get away with a slightly smaller box if you had to. Oh, and 8 inches deep.

Thank you all for your replies.

Can anyone else confirm electrofelon's statement?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
From my point of view:
Minimum distance to the wall opposite the (6) 4" would be 44" but, as noted, you would have to keep in mind the 6X distance between raceways containing the same conductors.
314.28 refers you to 312,6(A) as to depth taking the removable cover into account and, also as noted, that would be 8".

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
From your description I understand your pull is from one side of the box then out the back. No different than using an LB. You are not doing an angle pull from bottom to left or right side nor are making a U pull of bottom to bottom. Now if you crossed all your raceways and the left bottom needs to go far rt top etc, ...well 44" may not be enough and 8" not near deep enough.

bunuelbresson

From your description I understand your pull is from one side of the box then out the back. No different than using an LB. You are not doing an angle pull from bottom to left or right side nor are making a U pull of bottom to bottom. Now if you crossed all your raceways and the left bottom needs to go far rt top etc, ...well 44" may not be enough and 8" not near deep enough.

Ptonsparky thanks for your comment,

actually there will be no crossing. But the raceways enter the pannel from the top and exit from the back.
pullbox.jpg

That's what I think the size should be but was told that this is wrong:

From top to bottom it should be : 6 times largest raceway + sum of additional raceways (6 x 4" + 4" + 4" + 4" + 4" + 4")= 44"

From back to front (since the cover is removable): Largest raceway + 6 times the largest conductor (750kcmil - 0.866") = (4" + 6 x 0.866") = 9.196"

So I think it should be 44" tall and 9" deep!
But some forum members disagree.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
From back to front (since the cover is removable): Largest raceway + 6 times the largest conductor (750kcmil - 0.866") = (4" + 6 x 0.866") = 9.196"

So I think it should be 44" tall and 9" deep!
But some forum members disagree.

Where are you getting this calculation from?

Status
Not open for further replies.