Yellow neutral wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunuelbresson

Hi,

A contractor installed yellow neutral wires on a 3 phase 4 wire system instead of white.

Do you guys think this is acceptable or should the contractor re-pull white wires?
There are 15 neutrals in the pannel overall.

Thanks.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Hi,

A contractor installed yellow neutral wires on a 3 phase 4 wire system instead of white.

Do you guys think this is acceptable or should the contractor re-pull white wires?

Thanks.
It's a code violation, I believe, unless they are taped white (if they are large enough to do that ).

cadpoint

A Neutral is one of the few Colors that is called out in the NFPA; see Article 200.6.

I don't think they made any exception as you described in you OP.

Now if your in Europe or even Britian, you miles may very.

Nycedreemz

Hi,

Thanks.

Unless the conductors are large enough to re-identify then i would consider it a violation. Not sure what voltage your 3phase system is but, on a 480v system yellow is the third phase conductors color.

It would be evident as soon as you open the panel what those yellows were doing but if I were to run across that same yellow in a junction box i could troubleshoot incorrectly by assuming that yellow was a "HOT" instead of neutral.

In my opinion neutrals should be white, gray or if large enough re-identified with white tape.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Unless the conductors are large enough to re-identify then i would consider it a violation. Not sure what voltage your 3phase system is but, on a 480v system yellow is the third phase conductors color.

It would be evident as soon as you open the panel what those yellows were doing but if I were to run across that same yellow in a junction box i could troubleshoot incorrectly by assuming that yellow was a "HOT" instead of neutral.

In my opinion neutrals should be white, gray or if large enough re-identified with white tape.

That's not necessarly correct, it might be a trade practice, but it's not a code requirement.

Nycedreemz

200.6 (A) An insulated grounded conductor size 6 AWG or smaller shall be identified like this
1. A continuous white outer finish
2. A continuous gray outer finish
3. Three continuous white stripes along the entire length other than green insulation
4. Wires that have their outer covering finished to show a white or grey color but have a colored tracer to identify the manufacturer meet this provision

Nycedreemz

That's not necessarily correct, it might be a trade practice, but it's not a code requirement.

My fault, not trying to spread mis-information. I just follow the B_O_Y term when wiring 480V systems. The color of the conductor is indeed not determined by code. I was just giving a fairly common example of how an inconvenience can come up from the OP's situation.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
My fault, not trying to spread mis-information. I just follow the B_O_Y term when wiring 480V systems. The color of the conductor is indeed not determined by code. I was just giving a fairly common example of how an inconvenience can come up from the OP's situation.
And I agreed with everything else you said.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.