Multifamily Dwelling Receptalces Article 210

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Good afternoon,

Working on a large assisted care facility. The units are unique in the sense that there is two bedrooms with one common bathroom (I have been referring to this as a double wide). There is no basin in the bathroom, just a toilet and a shower, and then each unit has their basin located outside the bathroom with a door that separates the bathroom from the bedrooms so basically you have to leave the bathroom to wash your hands. 210 (8) (D) gives an example of this.

My question is really about the circuiting. I guess I just want to make sure I have to provide a separate 20A dedicated circuit for the receptacles adjacent to the sink? I was planning on feeding maybe three double wides' (6 receptacles) from a dedicated circuit, or would I be able to just put these on the general receptacle circuits. The problem is that in the handbook example which I know isnt binding, there is a basin within the bathroom as well as one outside the bathroom where as we only have one outside the bathroom.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You don't have a "dwelling unit," and the building you do have does not have a "bathroom," in the sense that these words are defined in the NEC. The requirement of 210.52(D) does not apply to your facility.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I think he has a "bathroom" in the sense of the NEC definition. (The definition says an "area" with a basin with one or more of a toilet, tub or shower. It doesn't say they have to be in the same room.)

I agree 210.52(D) doesn't apply if it is not a dwelling unit.

Npstewart

Ok, so technically I dont need a receptacle there then but in reality its probably a good idea to have one there. The illustration (exhibit 210.15) shows a hotel/motel with a receptacle on a dedicated "bathroom circuit". If I did provide a receptacle there and seeing how this is classified as a "bathroom" per article 100, would it have to be dedicated?

This is confusing to me because the handbook shows the motel/hotel which isn't considered a dwelling unit either but then it shows a dedicated circuit. This illustration is under the heading "Other than dwelling units" which according to Charlie is what I have here.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Ok, so technically I dont need a receptacle there then but in reality its probably a good idea to have one there. The illustration (exhibit 210.15) shows a hotel/motel with a receptacle on a dedicated "bathroom circuit". If I did provide a receptacle there and seeing how this is classified as a "bathroom" per article 100, would it have to be dedicated?

This is confusing to me because the handbook shows the motel/hotel which isn't considered a dwelling unit either but then it shows a dedicated circuit. This illustration is under the heading "Other than dwelling units" which according to Charlie is what I have here.

210.60 requires that Guest Rooms, Guest Suites, Dormitories and Similar Occupancies have a receptacle installed at the bathroom in accordance with 210.52(D).

However, the requirement for a dedicated bathroom circuit comes from 210.11(C)(3) which applies only to Dwelling Units.

That being said, I think you'd probably want to follow a similar tack...you don't wan't the circuits tripping when multiple tenants are using their blow dryers at the same time.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I disagree with David's call that this is a bathroom per the NEC definition. But we can leave that out of the conversation, and work with it as though it were a bathroom. The only requirement that a bathroom have a dedicated circuit appears in 210.11(C)(3), and that applies only to dwelling units.

Npstewart

Thanks Dave, I appreciate that, it clears it up.

This is more like a alzheimers building so probably not many hair dryers.

Thanks guys

Npstewart

I disagree with David's call that this is a bathroom per the NEC definition. But we can leave that out of the conversation, and work with it as though it were a bathroom. The only requirement that a bathroom have a dedicated circuit appears in 210.11(C)(3), and that applies only to dwelling units.

Thanks Charlie, looks like there is a consensus other then the bathroom :)

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

Charlie,

why do you disagree with this being a bathroom?

Npstewart

I was hoping I could add a little bit more to this post and add an additional question.

As discussed, these are not considered dwelling units, and probably not a multi family dwelling unit either.

For load calculations, per 220.12 my lighting would be at 2 VA/ft^2 (hotels& motels, including apartments without cooking). Then per 220.14 (J), this lighting load would also include the general receptacle load correct? (ie. 2va /ft^2).

Status
Not open for further replies.