Problem with local inspeactor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fry6

Hello Gentleman,
I have a problem with my local inspector. I took over a residencial home build from a kid who was working under I guess a friend of his who holds the licence.
After spending 4 days removing this kids "God All-full" work, it was time for the "rough inspection"
I was not there for the inspection, the homeowner was. The permit is in the homeowner's name.
The inspection found 8 failed items. The one that kills me the most is, "staples not installed in accordance with NEC".
Really?!?! Staples??? Yes I know, every 18/20 inches(or whatever the actual codes requires. I install move staples then I'm sure are required" I take great pride in straight, not twisted wire runs.
My exact question is this, is the inspector required to list the exact codes that were in violation?
The homeowner handed me a small sheet of paper with 8 violations. Guys, this is a 3600 square foot house! If the inspector found a staple or two missing or not within the required distance from the plastic boxes, or whatever he found how does he expect me to repair/replace said staple without knowing exactly where it is.
Don't you think that the inspector should have AT-LEAST pointed out the problem with the staple/staples to the homeowner? Turns out that the inspection began with the homeowner following the inspector but the inspector told the homeowner to "Please let me inspect by myself"
Guys, I have the up-most respect for all inspector's, but this guy is a real AH.
Thank you,,

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Hello Gentleman,
I have a problem with my local inspector. I took over a residencial home build from a kid who was working under I guess a friend of his who holds the licence.
After spending 4 days removing this kids "God All-full" work, it was time for the "rough inspection"
I was not there for the inspection, the homeowner was. The permit is in the homeowner's name.
The inspection found 8 failed items. The one that kills me the most is, "staples not installed in accordance with NEC".
Really?!?! Staples??? Yes I know, every 18/20 inches(or whatever the actual codes requires. I install move staples then I'm sure are required" I take great pride in straight, not twisted wire runs.
My exact question is this, is the inspector required to list the exact codes that were in violation?
The homeowner handed me a small sheet of paper with 8 violations. Guys, this is a 3600 square foot house! If the inspector found a staple or two missing or not within the required distance from the plastic boxes, or whatever he found how does he expect me to repair/replace said staple without knowing exactly where it is.
Don't you think that the inspector should have AT-LEAST pointed out the problem with the staple/staples to the homeowner? Turns out that the inspection began with the homeowner following the inspector but the inspector told the homeowner to "Please let me inspect by myself"
Guys, I have the up-most respect for all inspector's, but this guy is a real AH.
Thank you,,

I think you should be there for your inspections and not rely on the homeowner. I don't mark where they are either if the contractor is not there. If you had been there you might not have gotten a correction list at all, as you could have fixed them as he pointed them out.

Last edited:

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Well, if AHJ is Authority Having Jurisdiction, then AH must be Authority Having ... what, exactly? :D

In all seriousness, it sounds like you're really worked up about this based solely on what the homeowner has told you. If that's the case, and you haven't spoken to the Inspector yet, now would be a good time to take a few deep breaths to calm down, and make a phone call to the Inspector or pay him a visit at his office (if he has regular office hours). In general, if you come in breathing fire, he will probably dig in his heels and make life very hard for you.

Just remember going in that Inspectors are people too, and if you treat them like fellow human beings, they usually return the favor (I admit this doesn't work 100% of the time). Expressing anger in this situation is rarely (never?) helpful.

Now, the Inspector is probably required to provide Code references along with his correction notices, but he may only be required to provide them "upon request" -- meaning he doesn't have to give you a Code section unless you ask for it. This seems to be more a matter of local policy than anything else.

So contact the Inspector directly, do your level best to be nice (since he can make your life much more miserable than you can make his), and find out exactly what and where the violations are.

While I am not an Electrician, and therefore don't deal directly with Inspectors very often, I've seen several cases where everyone gets all bent out of shape over a correction notice, running around trying to figure out how to fix the problem ... and after a day or two somebody actually talks to the Inspector and he says, "Oh, just do this and I'll sign off on it." Problem solved.

Good luck to you.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Hello Gentleman,
Thank you,,

This should help you get started

334.30 Securing and Supporting. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (4? ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every outlet box, junction box, cabinet, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be stapled on edge.

Sections of cable protected from physical damage by raceway shall not be required to be secured within the raceway.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
In general, if you come in breathing fire, he will probably dig in his heels and make life very hard for you.

Just remember going in that Inspectors are people too, and if you treat them like fellow human beings, they usually return the favor (I admit this doesn't work 100% of the time). Expressing anger in this situation is rarely (never?) helpful.

This is a good general rule. Another place it is applicable is in dealing with airline ticket counter folks. Bartenders, too. :D

fry6

I think you should be there for your inspections and not rely on the homeowner. I don't mark where they are either if the contractor is not there. If you had been there you might not have gotten a correction list at all, as you could have fixed them as he pointed them out.
Mr Childress, thank you very much for replying to my question. I was not available for the inspection and I have been told by 2 other electricans that this inspector does not allow anyone to follow him on his inspections. That may be why there a several complaints against this inspector in Trenton NJ.
Sir, are you required to document the exact failed codes from the NEC?
Again, thank you very much

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

It does seem pretty hard to figure out what to correct based on a violation like that!
Possibly something generic and applying throughout the house like securing two pieces of NM using a staple listed for only one?
The closest the Code comes to having any specific citation for staples, other than 4.5' maximum interval and always one within 12" of boxes is:
334.30 Securing and Supporting. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be supported and secured by staples, ... designed and installed so as not to damage the cable, ....
Did you specifically put staples within 12" of all boxes, etc. as well as putting them close enough together?
This is all referring to NM, rather then some other type of cable fastened by staples, yes?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
(Barely related side note: In our State the Homeowner can not pull a permit and then not do the wiring themselves but your State may be different. I mention this only because if the inspector starts out knowingly under false info it may well influence his inspection).

I find I do a better inspection if I am not followed or at least not questioned until the inspection is complete. Your inspector may have found likewise.

When I find multiple violations on items such as improper stapling or missing nail plates I normally will cite the violation but not the location. If I find a half-dozen of such mistakes I can figure I missed another half-dozen so if I point out the type violation you may well find the ones I found and the ones I missed.
If I only find one or two I will identify the location

(Many of the electricians locally leave a couple of nail plates and staples at the panel so I can install them if the need is minimal)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
More like greed :D Our R.I. inspections pay about $25 gross... drive 15 miles....
Reject it & I have to go back... :D

If you reject it then you return for free. That is an incentive to pass just so you dont go back.

PetrosA

I've dealt with a few inspectors who "prefer" I not be there during inspection, which I have a hard time agreeing to. I would totally understand an inspector who requests that I don't talk to him during the inspection, but that I not be there at all? That's rude.

I do try and be present for inspections, especially a whole house rewire for clarity in case something gets dinged. I try as often as possible to work with inspectors who are open and willing to discuss what they find and explore the best options for correction. Interestingly, I've noticed the ones who don't want me there are also the ones whose stickers I see on a lot of panels with gross violations in them (doubled neutrals on busses, neutrals and/or grounds twisted together in large bundles and jammed into terminals, etc.)

I appreciate what a good inspector can do for me - they are a second set of eyes and could catch something I forgot or missed. It's the best shot at real, live education I get anymore ;)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I find I do a better inspection if I am not followed or at least not questioned until the inspection is complete. Your inspector may have found likewise.
If you mean not having someone two inches behind you, blabbing on and on, being an overall annoyance, then I agree. For me, that would be the same as a customer following me around when I am trying to troubleshoot a problem.

I try to be present for inspections, ask the the inspector where he wants to start, follow him around from there on and answer any questions he has. That way if there is a problem that can be addressed on site it can be cleared up there and then.

The only downside I have found is that my inspector wants to chit chat more than I do when I need to get some more work done or be somewhere else.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thank you,,
Probably the first thing you should do is contact the inspector and try to find out where the location was that he cited you for. Make sure you explain that you were not able to be on the job when he inspected. If you don't get any satisfaction you can contact the Code Assistance Unit at the DCA (609) 984-7609 and get advice from them.

And, just a side bar, be careful on this Forum when referring to an inspector as an AH or a DB, DA, SB or any other disparaging adjective you might think of. That inspector may be a Forum subscriber, participant or may just be lurking in the background. And, as if that weren't enough, there are many here on this Forum will beat the crap out of you (verbally that is) for making such comments irrespective of whether he was really an AH, DB,DA or SB.:p

kwired

Electron manager
And, just a side bar, be careful on this Forum when referring to an inspector as an AH or a DB, DA, SB or any other disparaging adjective you might think of. That inspector may be a Forum subscriber, participant or may just be lurking in the background. And, as if that weren't enough, there are many here on this Forum will beat the crap out of you (verbally that is) for making such comments irrespective of whether he was really an AH, DB,DA or SB.:p
Or maybe the inspector will see your comments as well as others comments and finally get a clue.

No names were mentioned, and probably shouldn't be either.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Or maybe the inspector will see your comments as well as others comments and finally get a clue.

No names were mentioned, and probably shouldn't be either.
True, no names were mentioned but the town and State were. That should narrow it down a bit wouldn't you say ?;)

kwired

Electron manager
True, no names were mentioned but the town and State were. That should narrow it down a bit wouldn't you say ?;)
Probably not as much as it would mentioning a city/State near me, most inspectors territories here are sized in the hundreds or even thousands of square miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.