Residential Panel Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klbrnt

Hi,
Just looked at a job for a friend. He has an old Zinsco 100amp single phase 120v/240v metered main for his house. The panel is maxed out and he is starting a kitchen remodel also installing a pool. On top of that he has plans for a Casita in the back also. So.. I looked at his current panel and there is a couple of problems. 1: It is installed right above his gas main. 2 : He installed a decorative gate with pylaster that is 30" from meter(no inspection) The pylaster is not moving now. I wanted to call sdg&e planner out to get a direction of what to do, but with the gas main right under the panel and a pylaster column supporting this huge gate (also this is a underground feed with a concrete driveway poured right up to it.)I believe I would need to relocate panel and intercept underground,cut driveway etc...
My next thought is to remove and replace not involving said entities. This guy screwed up and was mislead by other people. I know what the right thing to do is. What are the legal implications if I was to pop out the smart meter perform install and reinstall smart meter(work hot)? Put my blinders on so to speak and save him a lot of money.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think you know the answer to your question. What is there is what is there. You can leave it as is, as there is nothing blatantly unsafe.

if you touch it you own it and have an obligation to do it right.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If he has plans to do all those upgrades to his house, then he has to plan on spending the money to get the electrical done correctly (and most importantly, safely).

growler

What are the legal implications if I was to pop out the smart meter perform install and reinstall smart meter(work hot)? Put my blinders on so to speak and save him a lot of money.

If you are a contractor you could be charged with doing un-permitted electrical work and the utilities could get you for tampering with the meter seal.

If you are an electrician with a friend in need you could be charged with doing unlicensed electrical work and tampering with a meter seal.

Check out what the fines are in your state for these and see if you would be saving money.

If anything goes wrong things could get really bad.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
... pop out the smart meter perform install and reinstall smart meter...

In our area, the utility is notified immediately when a smart meter is not responding. Popping the meter, usually results in a utility site visit within 30 minutes or so.

tsamples

Would you ask this question a second time if the first time resulted in a fire and property loss/injury? If you care for your friend, you wont help him do something that could have terrible repurcussions.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You appear to be in CA, that means a permit is required!. You would risk your license for your friend? Is he going to indemnify you?
You know your license is at risk. citation, suspension, or Accusation to take your license. Then you have bond issues.
Why would you even consider this?

I can't imagine you want to work a new panel in with live wires. That is just insane.

From a personal standpoint Why in the heck would you even ask the guys around here about doing something illegal. :ashamed1:

Klbrnt

Panel upgrade.

Panel upgrade.

Thanks for all of your input everyone. I appreciate it. This is a situation I was dealing with and I think a lot people in our trade come against these type of situations. Thank you for your guidance.

he is starting a kitchen remodel also installing a pool. On top of that he has plans for a Casita in the back also. .

If he has the money for a pool, can he not come up with the money for a proper electrical upgrade? You will not do him any favors by continuing to enable a DIY disaster. These are the issues that are killing the electrical industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.