Load Calculations 220.12 & 220.14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

I tried to add this question to another thread but it wasnt getting any attention so I figured I would create a new one.

We are working on a building for people that have alzheimers. There units are two sleeping rooms with a shared bathroom in between. There are no cooking appliances and the HVAC unit will be powered from house power. This obviously is not considered a dwelling unit nor would I consider it multi family dwelling unit.

For load calculations, per article 220.12 lighting would be calculated @ 2 VA/ ft^2 (hotels& motels, including apartments without cooking). Then per 220.14 (J), this lighting load would also include the general receptacle load correct? (ie. 2va /ft^2) just as it is for residential except rather then 3 va we are using 2 va correct? Therefore, we wouldn't be using 180 VA for the receptacles in the units.

Now, once I get the total sum of those loads, it looks like the ONLY diversity I could could use here would be in table 220.42 (Hotels/Motels....). Meaning, I wouldnt be permitted to use 220.84 because this isnt considered a multifamily building.

Thanks everyone.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
That sounds correct to me. Just remember that Table 220.42 only applies to the apartments (or whatever you want to call them) themselves, and NOT to common areas, lobbies, corridors, dining rooms, etc.

Npstewart

Great, thanks JD.

Yea, we are doing the rest of the space like a standard commercial building.

I appreciate your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.