Residential Ada

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
I havent remodeled a house in a while and I'm just about to start today is Saturday

The plan is to run a bunch of wiremold on Victorian baseboard

coworker says that all outlets have to be 18 inches off the floor for ada

I saw insp last week
Looked at my marks on baseboard didn't say anything
Normally very helpful inspector

Is 15" required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
We in San Francisco
I know inspector didn't say nothing
Usually very helpful

Just don't want the wknd work wasted

Co worker is from Vacaville

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
budupu9e.jpg
got love it

mgookin

It depends what state you're in and what building code you use. Your profile does not say what state you're in. In Florida all we needed 10 years ago on single family was 29" net clear opening to a restroom on the first floor. Codes change every day. Ask your local building dept.

Fliz

There is no requirment for ada in a dwelling unit unless it is designated so. A building might have to have a certain number or all of them ada, or the owner may be disabled and simply want it. If its just one owner, an existing dwelling unit with no ada, chances are close to zero that you need to follow ansi 117.

cadpoint

I said this before the ADA straighten out toliets and stairs for Architects...

As for the OP they need to understand that this is a design application for Handicapped people.

The requirement of adhering to the ADA is only when a structure becomes a communital requirement.

Most Building Codes cover the aspects of applying electrical equipment which in itself envolopes the ADA, OK in most cases.

One is installing an application that is comfortable for the user. The end result should not be lost to appling ADA to a new install, with all things considered.

The information is available at www.ADA.gov

mgookin

I said this before the ADA straighten out toliets and stairs for Architects...

As for the OP they need to understand that this is a design application for Handicapped people.

The requirement of adhering to the ADA is only when a structure becomes a communital requirement.

Most Building Codes cover the aspects of applying electrical equipment which in itself envolopes the ADA, OK in most cases.

One is installing an application that is comfortable for the user. The end result should not be lost to appling ADA to a new install, with all things considered.

The information is available at www.ADA.gov

And while that is what the ADA says, keep in mind states have the right to write their own accessibility code and have it "registered" with the US Dept of Justice as being deemed to comply with the ADA. Commonly states add a little something unique to them. In Florida we have our own code which gives local inspectors jurisdiction on things in the ADA; otherwise there would be no jurisdiction other than the civil branch of the respective federal district court.

As stated earlier, it depends what state you're in. Easiest thing to do is check with your local building dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.