Stability Study Example

Status
Not open for further replies.

timm333

Occupation
Electrical Design Engineer
Is there some IEEE standard which gives step by step example of performing stability analysis? (For example IEEE buff book provides solved examples of coordiation study, and IEEE gold book provides solved examples of performing reliability study.)

Phil Corso

Timm333 ...

I'm unaware of an IEEE that provides detail, but the Step-By-Step analysis can be found in the text:

"Electrical Transmission and Distribution Reference Book", Westinghouse Electric Corp. 1950

Do you need additional information?

Regards, Phil Corso

timm333

Occupation
Thanks Phil. Yes please give me name of some other resource avaialable on internet for transient stability. It looks that tansient stability analysis given in westinghuse book is for large power systems which involves long transmission lines. I am actually looking for transient stability in the industrial distribution system.

I am not looking for books written by Indian authors, they have no sense of writing and it is waste of time and money to read those books.

Phil Corso

Stability Study Example

Timm333...

If you are interested in problems associated with acceleration following load-loss, power system fault-recovery or reacceleration following a momentary power disturbance, then I suggest Mohamed EL-Hawary's Text:

Title, "Electrical Power Systems, Design and Analyis"

ISBN, 0-8359-1627-8

PUblisher, Prentice-Hall

Date, 1983

I don't know EL-Hawary's ethnicity, but he lives in Canada!

(BTW, if you don't already know, India is surpassing us in the area of Energy Conservation and Renewable Energy development, while the best we (USA) can do is to make the Feds richer thru EPA-imposed regs! One in particular is the fee for unwarranted outages, or start-up delays beyond some norm, yet to be determined!)

Regards, Phil

timm333

Occupation
EL-hawary is not from india and I know his book is great. I was actually not talking about who has better power regulations (India or USA). I just do not want to read the books written by people who come to USA from India. No offenses, but just not my thing!

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
I think IEEE-399 CH.8 "Stability studies" could be interesting.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Power System Analysis and Design; ISBN 0-534-07860-5

Elements of Power System Analysis; ISBN 0-07-061278-1

The second one listed, IMO is better than the first.

As a side note, stability is becoming an issue on systems where a high percentage of renewable energy sources have been added while conventional generation is being retired. Inverters (the newer smart inverters) do have VAR support capability but it is additional technology at additional cost and must be made to be a requirement.

The generators provide a lot of inertia to the system to ride through faults and voltage sags etc. and it is being discovered that much of the "green" stuff does not contribute to system inertia, thus as a short term fix, synchronous condensers are being utilized.

Status
Not open for further replies.