Emergency Lights - Lifetime? Alternates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragin Cajun

I am disappointed with the lifetime on the batteries for these things (Bug Eyes). They don't seem to last as long as they used to, or maybe I am looking closer at them?

On some larger buildings we provided an emergency generator, but that's costly. Several we were blessed that the project needed a generator for other things so we piggy backed on it.

For small jobs like shops, apartment buildings, I just can't justify a generator.

What have you guys been doing regarding egress/exit lighting?

Thanks,

RC

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I am disappointed with the lifetime on the batteries for these things (Bug Eyes). They don't seem to last as long as they used to, or maybe I am looking closer at them?

On some larger buildings we provided an emergency generator, but that's costly. Several we were blessed that the project needed a generator for other things so we piggy backed on it.

For small jobs like shops, apartment buildings, I just can't justify a generator.

What have you guys been doing regarding egress/exit lighting?

Thanks,

RC

When you say "as long as they used to", did you put a watch on them? The code requirement is for 90 minutes, no more. They are intended to allow orderly evacuation of a building during a power outage, not to allow folks to continue about their business for the remainder of the day. So in short, we don't do a darn thing unless they don't last 90 minutes. Then we replace the battery.

TNBaer

Inverters seem more and more popular these days. A lot of times replacing the whole unit proves to be cheaper than replacing the battery.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
By "lifetime" I mean how many years before the battery dies. I have one in my home office that hasn't lasted three years.

RC

OK, way different than I thought you were talking about.

Three years might be a little on the shy side of expected life, all things being equal. How long did the battery spend in inventory before it was installed? Do you have frequent power outages? Both of these items will work against installed battery longevity. Otherwise we usually suggest to our customers that they be replaced at least every five (5) years.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
OK, way different than I thought you were talking about.

Three years might be a little on the shy side of expected life, all things being equal. How long did the battery spend in inventory before it was installed? Do you have frequent power outages? Both of these items will work against installed battery longevity. Otherwise we usually suggest to our customers that they be replaced at least every five (5) years.
The life expectancy will depend heavily on just what chemistry the battery uses.
ATM or GEL type lead acid, maybe as much as 10 years IF it is kept charged and not left to sit without power for months. More likely 5 years or less.
Lithium, (such as LiFePO4) maybe 10 years, maybe more in float service. Lithium rechargeables actually have a shorter life if kept fully charged. Go figure....
Nickel Metal Hydride or Nickel Cadmium, I am not sure, but I would expect at least 10 years if not cycled.

TNBaer

The life expectancy will depend heavily on just what chemistry the battery uses.
ATM or GEL type lead acid, maybe as much as 10 years IF it is kept charged and not left to sit without power for months. More likely 5 years or less.
Lithium, (such as LiFePO4) maybe 10 years, maybe more in float service. Lithium rechargeables actually have a shorter life if kept fully charged. Go figure....
Nickel Metal Hydride or Nickel Cadmium, I am not sure, but I would expect at least 10 years if not cycled.

Oh, I don't think the old NiCads would last 10 years. Maybe if not cycled...maybe. But cycling is the death of them and a quick death it is. They also have to lose their whole charge before a recharge can begin.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
They also have to lose their whole charge before a recharge can begin.
Only if your are concerned about memory effect, and that can be remedied by occasional controlled full discharges instead of always holding off recharge until full discharge has been reached.
Memory effect is at its worst when the depth of partial discharge is very consistent, hence the "electric toothbrush syndrome."

NiMH cells do not exhibit the same memory effect.

Ragin Cajun

Unless I missed something, all the lights that are part of this system are "on" all the time?

It looks like there is only one sensing point for power failure, not per room?

RC

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
The Search for Quality

The Search for Quality

We live in the age of ultimate shoddy products. In real terms all of this is being driven by greed at higher levels, if you can call them that....
The frog eye units are disappointing plastic to say the least. I have one new one with one head dead shortly after install. Junk.
I have searched out some of the older school style metal case units that lay in the end of 2x4 ceiling grid to replace some older ones of the same style. I forget the brand but the model is TG-15. I would expect better batteries can be found and installed.

Ragin Cajun

I'm with you there on quality!

Bought a LED bug eye to give LED's a try.

I hope it lasts! Whoever designed it never installed one, that's for sure. The old Lithonia bug eye had stabs on the back plate for the wires to make installation easier. Connect the wires, mount the back plate and snap on the unit.

The new one didn't have stabs. The wires are hard mounted to the circuit board. You have to juggle the whole stinking unit and it's back plate while you connect the wires and screw the back plate to the box. PP design!

Out of courtesy I will hold back on the brand. . . For now.

I actually don't mind units made out of plastic. Lighter, smooth lines. Rust proof. I just want them to work and not bite the dust so soon! Certainly battery science can provide one that can last 10 - 20 years? It ain't rocket science - or is it?

RC

Status
Not open for further replies.