Main Disconnect before meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Fub

I'm working in a building with multiple meters. There is a main breaker feeding all the meters. I would like to backfeed a 100 amp sub-panel. Do I need to install another disconnect after the meter as well?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
How is over-current protection addressed on the load side of the other meters ?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm working in a building with multiple meters. There is a main breaker feeding all the meters. I would like to backfeed a 100 amp sub-panel. Do I need to install another disconnect after the meter as well?
When you say "backfeed" are you talking about the output of a PV system, or something else? Just feeding an MLO panel through an attached breaker?

E-Fub

How is over-current protection addressed on the load side of the other meters ?

The other meters have the sub panels back fed directly below them then all the circuits head out from there. FYI this is a small retail store with apartments on top. I am working on the store. I guess the tenants have to come all the way downstairs if they trip a breaker.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Sight unseen, I would think you would follow the existing install and install a breaker at your meter.
You have to protect your feeder conductors to your added panel and it is doubtful the main will provide that protection.

E-Fub

Thanks for the insight. I'll install a small disconnect box. I can't protect the feeder circuits without one. Thanks to all posters for helping me with my issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.